Establishing secure connection

Faidle

Thread author
Dec 23, 2013
I've recently been experiencing significant slowdown when browsing and it gets stuck at "establishing secure connection". It just freezes and the site will not load. I was wondering what can cause this behavior as it never happened to me before.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I've recently been experiencing significant slowdown when browsing and it gets stuck at "establishing secure connection". It just freezes and the site will not load. I was wondering what can cause this behavior as it never happened to me before.
What browser are you using?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Remember to backup your bookmarks and, or settings. Have you tried to reset your browser settings to default?

Faidle

Thread author
Dec 23, 2013
Yes. I also tried re-installing. One thing I noticed, it's not happening when I use a vpn. Could it be an IP issue?

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Have you tried resetting(unplug and wait 45 secs and plug it back in) your modem and or router if you have one

Faidle

Thread author
Dec 23, 2013
Have you tried resetting(unplug and wait 45 secs and plug it back in) your modem and or router if you have one
Yes. Issue is still there even after getting new IP from my ISP. The weird thing is it's not happening when using proxy.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
When using a proxy,do you mean a VPN program such as cyberghost or a browser extension such as ZenMate?
Or do you manually enter an IP and port via connection settings in your browser?
Does the problem only happen on a secure (https) website?
Or Does this happen on a non secure (http) site?
Did you recently make any changes that would effect your connection such as recently installed VPN software or something else?

Last edited:

Faidle

Thread author
Dec 23, 2013
I'm using a VPN program named HideMyAss to test. It happens to every site not just https sites. No recent change or programs installed prior to this,

Another thing I noticed, it also gets stuck loading the following items.

font.googleapis.com
ajax.googleapis.com

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
the first link works the second is a 404 error.Have you tried disabling or uninstalling HideMyAss and see if that changes anything.

In HMA settings do you have Secure IP Binding enabled?

Secure IP binding adds extra security to the VPN.So,now if you get disconnected from the VPN servers for some reason,you will not revert back to your normal unencrypted internet connection.
Secure IP Binding will force aplications (Browser,ect.) to not work at all except when connected to the VPN.

I have a hunch that HMA is the cause of your problem

Last edited:

Faidle

Thread author
Dec 23, 2013
Even after I uninstalled HMA, the problem persisted. I'm going to have to test this with another system and see if it would still happen.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Did you use an 3rd Uninstaller such as IObit or Revo and scan for leftover entries

Or try a system restore to a point before you experienced this problem

Have you tried on IE or have you contacted your ISP

Last edited:

Faidle

Thread author
Dec 23, 2013
I have used revo uninstaller. Haven't tried system restore just yet. Do you think this is a possible ISP issue?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am thinking it would have been an issue with HMA or another similar program

Have you checked firefox and chrome network settings>proxy settings.

If you use an extension such as ZenMate if you go into chrome settings>Network>proxy is grayed out and says Your network proxy settings are being managed by an extension.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
First try contacting your ISP and see if they are having problems, if you have another system that uses the same connection see if it also has issues. If you are using an Antivirus or Security Suite with web scanning, disable it and see if the problems persists. Check your modem and router they maybe dropping connections. Also checks your Windows host file and see if it has been edited, if you are using an edited host file blocking list via HostsMan or another host manager, you may need to remove some entries.

Thanks. :D

Faidle

Thread author
Dec 23, 2013
Turns out to be an ISP issue. Already terminated my account with them and transferred to a new one. Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: Exterminator

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.