eth4n's security config

eth4n

Thread author
Jul 9, 2016
Hi everyone,

I think that this Config Wizard is clearly favoring Windows over Linux... :D

I'm using Arch Linux, imo the safest distro, because u can tweak it as you like.

My security configuration consists of:
  • ufw - great iptables frontend, tweaked settings in order to reduce attack surface
  • grsecurity - kernel patch for exploit and 0day protection
  • AppArmor - MAC, very simple rules configuration (I actually had to recompile my own kernel to allow it, default Arch kernel with grsecurity comes only with Tomoyo enabled - I've no idea how to use it :D and I'd also have to write my own profiles, so no thank you)
  • firejail - great sandboxing tool, essential for Firefox and vulnerable apps, comes with several predefined profiles
  • edithosts - interesting tool, blocks ads on HOSTS level, I tweaked it to block malware domains as well, doesn't slow down my browsing experience so far
  • rkhunter - decent tool, scans for generic rootkit files, reports suspicious files and most importantly stores hashes of essential OS files and then reports any tampering with them
It's a bit overkill for a desktop, but well... at least I feel safe. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well honestly since you are already in Linux, then it is already secured for numerous upcoming years. ;)

You may try to install related snapshot/rollback software as your backup.

eth4n

Thread author
Jul 9, 2016
Hm, any tips? :) I backup manually and sometimes use Clonezilla for the OS SSD.

@JM Security - it's a solid tool, for servers though, I wouldn't install it on a desktop... RKHunter is more complex, so I'm keeping it. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.