Etham security configuration

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Nice Configuration.
I would advice you to install https everywhere and another on-demand scanner feks.Hitman pro,and perhaps a password manager,i use lastpass witch is free on all devices.and i can see you have UAC disabled:enable it you will not be sorry.:)

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I remember my passwords http everywhere is a nice idea
And i don't really need more on demand scanners Thanks a lot for the reply

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Backups. Else good but I think you will see more recommendations to turn on UAC.

Surely almost everyone has been in your situation with backup. The best method imo is to get an external dual drive bay with two matching drives. Create image backups to one and then RAID the other to match that. When one goes, just replace it, and RAID does the rest. You can also use syncing to sync your personal files to the same drive as the image backups but on a more regular basis than you run image backups. I have sync set up for every 40 minutes. RAID will duplicate the files but no big deal there.

Was the infection on your PC ransome?

Reactions: frogboy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
First of all enable UAC!
Consider enabling Smartscreen
How and why have you had a recent malware problem? If you do not mind sharing that.
If you are using VoodooShield then please edit your config's real time protection to reflect this otherwise your config is at risk.
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s)
What Browser(s) do you use?
Consider some type of data & system backup solution.

Reactions: JM Safe and AtlBo

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Backups. Else good but I think you will see more recommendations to turn on UAC.

Surely almost everyone has been in your situation with backup. The best method imo is to get an external dual drive bay with two matching drives. Create image backups to one and then RAID the other to match that. When one goes, just replace it, and RAID does the rest. You can also use syncing to sync your personal files to the same drive as the image backups but on a more regular basis than you run image backups. I have sync set up for every 40 minutes. RAID will duplicate the files but no big deal there.

Was the infection on your PC ransome?
Thanks I will purchase a hard drive

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
If you are using VoodooShield then please edit your config's real time protection to reflect this otherwise your config is at risk.

VoodooShield is a very good idea.

If you haven't tried it yet, you might at least take a look. It's GOOD software, and I suspect you might like it much more than you expect. I don't know personally if there is a better free security program that isn't a full firewall or a-v/behavior blocker. Here is some information:

VoodooShield - Have you tried it? Would you recommended it?

The free will give you a very high degree of protection, and I can't find any real holes at all in it as long as you aren't running complicated scripts. Then you might run into configuration issues with the free. Otherwise, it's basically the same, keeping in mind that VS watches the command line (and other areas of Windows) by default in the free version and incorporates the all of the Ai and online Virus Total inputs in recommendations.

HowardEngland

Level 1
Verified
Dec 23, 2016
First of all enable UAC!
Consider enabling Smartscreen
How and why have you had a recent malware problem? If you do not mind sharing that.
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s)
What Browser(s) do you use?
Consider some type of data & system backup solution.

Many whitelist apps recommend when running them to disable UAC to avoid conflicts. I never do disable UAC. As yet I have experienced no problems or issues keeping UAC enabled while running different whitelister apps. Having said that I am definitely no expert and don't claim to be. Others may well find different results to myself!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Changes made edited
Many whitelist apps recommend when running them to disable UAC to avoid conflicts. I never do disable UAC. As yet I have experienced no problems or issues keeping UAC enabled while running different whitelister apps. Having said that I am definitely no expert and don't claim to be. Others may well find different results to myself!
The OP did not specify that he was using VoodooShield in his original config which is the reason for the comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM Safe and AtlBo

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
Macrium Reflect is really useful for me too. I have used it to fully restore encrypted partitions.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.