Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Quoted Source: Tech firms struggle with GDPR privacy rules
Further Reading: Sites block users, shut down activities and flood inboxes as GDPR rules loom

Several tech firms have opted to block EU residents from using their services because of concerns they are not compliant with a shake-up to the 28-nation bloc's data privacy laws. It gives the public more rights over how personal information is used and raises the amount firms can be fined. For some, however, the situation has presented an opportunity.
"Several services have cropped up offering a way for website administrators to block EU-based visitors rather than check their pages meet the new requirements."
1527193203627.png

"Some users have, however, been surprised by the measures taken by the Forbes news site. If users opt out of accepting "functional cookies" within its new privacy settings, they are blocked from viewing any content on its site until they change their minds."

1527193272410.png

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Block all EU access, problem solved :LOL: I don't think many ecommerce companies would be willing to let that large a market go, maybe they're bluffing till they can figure out what the hell to do about it. Btw, there was a thread posted about 3 hours ago about the GDPR rules here. It’s time to embrace GDPR

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
Block all EU access, problem solved :LOL: I don't think many ecommerce companies would be willing to let that large a market go, maybe they're bluffing till they can figure out what the hell to do about it. Btw, there was a thread posted about 3 hours ago about the GDPR rules here. It’s time to embrace GDPR
Well in my case, I don't make any money anyways.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
And if they're not blocking you completely out of their site, they're throwing up one of these:
Untitled.png
Now don't get me wrong, informing people of what cookies are, what they're used for and giving them control of what types of cookies can be set is a good thing. The issue is that this screen is absolutely pointless for anyone who already blocks third-party cookies from being set/read, and if they're like me and have their browser set to delete all cookies once said browser is closed, is forced to submit their preferences every single time they visit any website that requires data consent (which is a lot of sites, owing to the fact that most websites are funded by advertising, and online advertising is essentially consumer surveillance by another name).

Another issue: To get to the cookie control screen above you have to click on "More Information" on this screen:
Untitled 2.png
And as you'll note, nowhere does it state that clicking on "More Information" will allow you to access the cookie control screen.
I actually plan on reading up on GDPR a lot more thoroughly because the fact that it isn't stated that you're able to access these controls before accessing the site is a nasty little trick and if it does break some requirement of GDPR I plan on taking it up with the relevant EU institution(s).

Edit: Oh and did I mention it took almost a minute to submit my preferences, and once that was complete I was only then told I'm not allowed to access the site as an EU citizen. Tip-top web design right there. :rolleyes:

Edit 2: If you desperately need to access a site that blocks EU users, use a proxy or a VPN to bypass it. If not, I say f*ck 'em. If they won't respect your right to privacy then they don't deserve your viewership.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Huge difference as MT still allow access even if one don't choose but for example Neowin and many other sites now enforce it. I get a feeling they misunderstood the whole basic concept of GDPR and simply try avoid getting fined by shove down the responsibility in peoples throat. That in itself is a possible GDPR rulebreak so good luck! :coffee:

IMO 100% blocking anyone from a plain view is incompetent at best or as T’Challa sayed, the wise build bridges while the foolish build barriers.

Last edited:

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
USA Today choose a different approach :)
USA TODAY
A MESSAGE FROM USA TODAY NETWORK
It appears that you’re visiting us from a location in the European Union.
We are directing you to our EU Experience.
This site does not collect personally identifiable information or persistent identifiers from, deliver a personalized experience to, or otherwise track or monitor persons reasonably identified as visiting our Site from the European Union. We do identify EU internet protocol (IP) addresses for the purpose of determining whether to direct you to USA TODAY NETWORK’s EU Experience.
This site provides news and information of USA TODAY NETWORK. We hope you enjoy the site.
1527410198547.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.