European Commission: No evidence Kaspersky software is malicious

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
The so called free world just arrested Julian assange, which is the antithesis of being in a free world. I am more or as scared of the software from the free world as russia. Oh and france is is trying to install another dictator in libya.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
"The Commission is not in possession of any evidence regarding potential issues related to the use of Kaspersky Lab products," replied Bulgarian politician and European Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society Mariya Gabriel, on behalf of the EU.

No issues with Kaspersky.

Another hit piece comes out as Kaspersky is exonerated, interestingly another Lambert, the Israeli's have been busy boys:

"Research by Citizen Lab, an internet watchdog group based at the University of Toronto's Munk School, suggests the Lucas Lambert operation is linked to an almost identical one involving a man calling himself Michel Lambert. Michel's bungled attempt in a Manhattan restaurant to entrap John Scott-Railton, a senior researcher at the lab, was caught on camera by AP reporters two months ago. "

"The two Lamberts appear to be different individuals. A few days after the AP published Michel Lambert's photo, he was outed as former Israeli intelligence officer Aharon Almog-Assouline. In a Canadian court filing , a Toronto attorney said Assouline "bears a striking similarity" to a man he identified as an operative for Black Cube, an Israeli private intelligence firm. "

Private spy targeted critics of Kaspersky Lab

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
The US and UK governments simply don't want people using Kasperky's products because Kaspersky will not white-list their Malware. It slows down the US and UK governments mass spying operations. Kaspersky is the best there is and, although Kaspersky's signatures are top notch their zero day protection is equally as good, so good in-fact that the US government used it themselves out of all the other vendors they could have chosen, some of which are US security companies.

Kaspersky have detected a fair amount of US government malware/spyware and that's going to ruffle some feathers. It could be a case of the US government asking Kaspersky Lab to whitelist all their tools and Kaspersky Lab refusing to do so. So, the US hot back by trying to ruin Kaspersky's reputation, after all if the US government can get millions of users to drop Kaspersky then Kaspersky white-listing their tools isn't so important anymore.

This is all just speculation on part of course. There could be much more to it or much less. I doubt we'll ever know the real reason for the ban.

I do find it strange that Checkpoint, an Israeli based security company use an older version of Kaspersky's engine and! Kaspersky's sigs in their Zone Alarm products. Do they use the engine because it's top notch or to reverse engineer it or for some other reason.

Their could be real evidence against Kaspersky but said information could be very sensitive and reveal the methods about how it was obtained that the US simple cannot reveal.

Personally, on My Windows Machine I use Kaspersky's products, I like them, I trust them and, as a suite KIS is amazing especially when you really tweak it. And, until I see any evidence that the allegations against Kaspersky are without a shadow of a doubt true I'll continue to both use and recommend Kaspersky's product's

Lets hope we find out more soon.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
All applications are spying except for American and English applications:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Microsoft :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Google :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
+ much more that you dont even know they exist

Kantry123

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
well whether its the accusations of being a Russian spyware or not, Kaspersky released KFA to public and also now KSC Free which makes one of the product Kaspersky Anti-Virus useless in my opinion.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
well whether its the accusations of being a Russian spyware or not, Kaspersky released KFA to public and also now KSC Free which makes one of the product Kaspersky Anti-Virus useless in my opinion.
That's correct in my opinion, but the real strength of Kaspersky is the application control of KIS.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I don't think Kaspersky is dishonest and malicious. What the American government did was protect it's secure systems from "possible" intrusion due to Russain laws and regulations (could be wrong).

Think about it this way, if North Korea had a popular AV, the American governement (and many other countries) would be leary about installing it on critical systems.

Maybe that is not an good analogy, but sums it up in a way.

Another big threat to the world is Chinese software. It is everywhere and on everything. How do you regulate that?

The days of having a physical person 'spy' is probably long gone. Nowadays, you just use software from a person in their underwear. Every country in the world spys. It is the natural order of things unfortunetly.

If we knew 10% of what was going on in the world today in spying, we would probably all go back to typewriters.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.