Europol identifies eight main cybercrime trends

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
The volume, scope and material cost of cybercrime all remain on an upward trend and have reached very high levels. Some EU Member States now report that the recording of cybercrime offences may have surpassed those associated with traditional crimes.

LYN4zrh.jpg

An expansion both in the number of cybercriminal actors and opportunities to engage in highly profitable illegal activities has partly fuelled this trend, as has the development of new cybercrime tools in areas such as ATM fraud and mobile malware. However, a large part of the problem relates to poor digital security standards and practice by businesses and individuals.

A significant proportion of cybercrime activity still involves the continuous recycling of relatively old techniques, security solutions for which are available but not widely adopted.

“The relentless growth of cybercrime remains a real and significant threat to our collective security in Europe. Europol is concerned about how an expanding cybercriminal community has been able to further exploit our increasing dependence on technology and the Internet,” said Europol’s Director Rob Wainwright.

“We have also seen a marked shift in cyber-facilitated activities relating to trafficking in human beings, terrorism and other threats. In response law enforcement authorities have increased their skill-sets and their capability to work together in platforms such as the European Cybercrime Centre at Europol, but the growing misuse of legitimate anonymity and encryption services for illegal purposes remain a serious impediment to the detection, investigation and prosecution of criminals,” Wainwright concluded.

The Head of the European Cybercrime Centre, Steven Wilson said: “2016 has seen the further evolution of established cybercrime trends. The threat from ransomware has continued to grow and has now expanded into sectors such as healthcare. Europol has also seen the development of malware targeting the ATM network, impacting cash services worldwide. Online child sexual abuse continues to be a very high priority for all countries, with international cooperation established as a significant part of the strategy to protect children and identify victims. However there are many positives to be taken from this year’s report. Partnerships between industry and law enforcement have improved significantly, leading to the disruption or arrest of many major cybercriminal syndicates and high-profile individuals associated with child abuse, cyber intrusions and payment card fraud, and to innovative new prevention programmes such as the no more ransom campaign.”

Read More. https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2016/09/28/europol-cybercrime-trends/

H

hjlbx

Tip of iceberg...

I expect at some point there will be a concerted multi-national effort to illegalize bitcoin and shutdown\eradicate all bitcoin exchange firms.

It is just a matter of time before a billion dollar stealing malware surfaces... I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it turns out to be a malicious Android app or malware that targets the financial infrastructure at the bank level and higher (instead of consumers directly).

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Hmm ...

Looks to me like another of those attention grabbing headlines from an over-funded , under-performing trans-national agency .

A lot of hot air .... " Big hat , no cattle " as they say in Texas.

"Europol identifies eight main cybercrime trends"

This might appear cynical , but if they had said "Europol identifies eight main cybercriminals" , I would be writing something positive.

But trends ? .... really ?
Whoop-de-doo , they have spent billions looking for " trends " , and they have succeeded in finding them .

What's the betting that they have a major financial review coming up ?

"The wise person speaks because they have something to say , the others speak because they have to say something "

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Tip of iceberg...

I expect at some point there will be a concerted multi-national effort to illegalize bitcoin and shutdown\eradicate all bitcoin exchange firms.

It is just a matter of time before a billion dollar stealing malware surfaces... I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it turns out to be a malicious Android app or malware that targets the financial infrastructure at the bank level and higher (instead of consumers directly).
The most important difference between the money in the real world and the virtual one is that bitcoin can be tracked up to a certain point. The bitcoin is based on a Blockchain. Blockchain is a public registry. And when I say public, I mean really public. So public that anyone, I mean, each of you can go online today and download the entire Blockchain of bitcoin, that would include any single transaction that has ever been made with bitcoin. Now you might not see who sends money but you would see the transactions.
This means that we can really track the amount of money that cybercriminals are moving: not who they are, but how you move. And some of these gang of ransom digital are making big ...big money...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.