Solved Every time I open a folder, the Windows installer pop-up opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scalerwave

Thread author
Oct 28, 2012
System: WinXp Sp2

This is a continued problem from fighting a rootkit.zeroaccess virus.

Combofix has apparently removed the virus but the remaining problem is that every time I open a folder (My Computer, Network Places, HDD shortcut, Search file) the "Windows installer" Pop-up appears as if I'm trying to install new software. The Pop-up hangs around for about a minute and then finally the My Computer or other window will display normally. Closed the My Computer and and re-opening causes the same Install Pop-up to come onscreen. This seems to have occurred after running a "Repair" install. I ran one more "Repair" install but the problem remains.

I ran HiJackThis and found 2 missing file entries, checked the boxes, and hit "Fix" but this didn't help.

I ran Administrative Tools/Applications to look for errors but only see a Warning for MSIinstaller... no other clues.

As a work around, I ran Services.msc and disabled the "Windows Installer" service. This works but I would really like to get to the bottom of this though.

I'm still looking around on the net now... it seems that some people had success with a MS Cleanup tool which cleans up messy Uninstalls. I can't find the tool now though. Others just stopped at the "work-around" that I mentioned and just turn the "Installer" back on when needed to update or install software.

Any help is appreciated.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
AFAIK, you shouldn't just go around 'fixing' HJT stuff without knowing what you're doing.

Do this as a basic system file check up: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Have you used Registry Cleaners?

Upvote 0

Scalerwave

Thread author
Oct 28, 2012
BSOD - I'll check out SFC thx ! For the Reg Cleaner, I used TuneUp Utilities 2013. There were plenty of errors and it cleaned everything up but no change.

I was following a thread where some explained how HJT helped solved their problem. No harm done but no fix either.

Merc - I'll try SM again and let you know.

Upvote 0

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Here is the cleanup tool: be careful.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/MSI-cleanup-utility-3889c8db

Upvote 0

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
i might not be providing you a solution to your problem, but considering the current scenario of 0-day exploits i would NOT recommend you to use XP, try upgrading to win7, win8 or if hardware dont permit then at least a XP SP3 with all updates.

On the problem,
if the above measures don't work try and explore the event viewer and find out what is calling the windows installer, it might help !!

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
hello Scalerwave

since you are getting help in "Malware Removal Assistance" part of the forum here mabe it's not a good idea to ask for help in this part of the forum yet

as things you do here might make it harder for your helper in "Malware Removal Assistance" to help you

:)

Upvote 0

Scalerwave

Thread author
Oct 28, 2012
Good idea.

jim lin said:
hello Scalerwave

since you are getting help in "Malware Removal Assistance" part of the forum here mabe it's not a good idea to ask for help in this part of the forum yet

as things you do here might make it harder for your helper in "Malware Removal Assistance" to help you

:)

Upvote 0

Scalerwave

Thread author
Oct 28, 2012
I would have never guessed it but it turns out that somehow Adobe Acrobat 7 got damaged and was causing the problem. After much investigation, Jack suggested either reinstalling or uninstalling AA7. It was quicker to uninstall so I did that and the Windows Installer problem was finally gone.

The system seems to be ok now.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.

SW

Upvote 0

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Scalerwave said:
I would have never guessed it but it turns out that somehow Adobe Acrobat 7 got damaged and was causing the problem. After much investigation, Jack suggested either reinstalling or uninstalling AA7. It was quicker to uninstall so I did that and the Windows Installer problem was finally gone.

SW

That's awesome, have you found a replacement?

Upvote 0

Scalerwave

Thread author
Oct 28, 2012
Adobe is on CD so no problem there.

BSOD said:
Scalerwave said:

SW

That's awesome, have you found a replacement?

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Freakin' Adobe. I tell you what! I used to get BSOD's via their auto update shortcomings. I experienced more BSOD's by the hands of Adobe than any other past BSOD cause.
I am experiencing the same symptom complained about in this thread. Adobe strikes again. Those jerks. They need to work the bugs out of their junk. I have seen it too many times.

I am getting "Windows Installer" pop-up windows every time I access Outlook (don't use it anyway) and Search Companion. It is annoying. It says something about "Net Framework" or some such nonsense.
I guess I should uninstall Shockwave Flash and my Flash Player and get updated versions. Adobe has glitches; and crashes so much. It is very common in my experience.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Actually it says "XP Professional with Front Page".

When I open Outlook, that is when I get: WINDOWS INSTALLER/Praparing to install....

I am getting both of those messages for either action, whether I open Outlook, or I attempt a search with Search Companion.

What gives?

It is hard telling how long this has gone on because I never use Outlook and I rarely use Search Companion.

EDITED

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

ZOU1 said:
Actually it says "XP Professional with Front Page".

When I open Outlook, that is when I get: WINDOWS INSTALLER/Praparing to install....

I am getting both of those messages for either action, whether I open Outlook, or I attempt a search with Search Companion.

What gives?

It is hard telling how long this has gone on because I never use Outlook and I rarely use Search Companion.

EDITED

This and thisshould fix your problem.

Second link has up to 2003 version though but the first link should be enough.

Here is also an alternative tool and some guidelines.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I ran Windows Installer Cleanup and I am seeing 4 versions of Microsoft. NET Framework. Should I remove the three older versions?
1.1.4432 is the oldest and 3.5.20.7.29 is the newest. Same with MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2 (older version showing)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.