Technology EV's in the cold='A bunch of dead robots out here'

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
LOL...... I guess it's better than being stranded in a snowstorm with freezing cold on I-95 halfway between here and there.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have 2 Teslas, but in a warmer clime, but still find it odd that this is the first that I have heard of this issue. My brother (still) lives in Chicago, and he sees a lot of Teslas there. Maybe if Teslas were manufactured in Detroit, Musk would have noticed this cold issue years ago. :eek: I almost drove myTesla to Chicago last month... It would be good to know what the critical temperature is for this issue to appear.

Reactions: ZeroDay

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I haven't seen any Teslas, that I noticed anyway. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing one up here.

Anyway, this part of Maine has been hit with a real cold snap and finally a decent snowfall. Electric cars, from what I've seen and heard, lose battery fast in cold weather. A couple of winters ago, locals laughed at the out of statrers in their all electric marvels sitting dead on the road or, gassing up because the batteries died in a few miles due to the cold. NO THANKS. My cars will run on dinosaur juice. It, at least, works.

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw, I lived in Chicagoland for many years, typical 12 volt car battery would start to go bad, ie, get weak, crank slower -- you knew the battery was dying over a period of several days. In warmer clime where I now reside, 12 volt car battery works fine one day, and the next day it is totally dead, without any indication that its life is ending.

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I guess EV vehicles are cool if you live at the equator. Up here, people have and are discovering that they aren't so great in places like Maine, where zero and below Fahrenheit are the norm in winter.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.