Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
OKAY, I understand that people decide to be removed from a forum when they spend to much time or people get banned form forums because they don't respect forum rules.

Would it be possible to differentiate between Deleted Member 123 and Removed Member 123. The first indicating that the member was deleted on own request (right to be forgotten) and Removed Member 123 indicating that the member was removed because of forum rules violation?

Thx

Edit corrected typo

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
OKAY, I understand that people decide to be removed from a forum when they spend to much time or people get banned form forums because they don't respect forum rules.

Would it be possible to differentiate between Deleted Member 123 and Removed Member 123. The first indicating that the member was deleted on own request (right to be forgotten) and Remomed Member 123 indicating that the member was removed because of forum rules violation?

Thx
O. banned in the second case:giggle:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
What difference would it make really if it said any of those things ? Removed or Deleted member still means nothing because you won't know who it was and i don't really see what it would bring to the forum other than the banned status which could possibly serve as a warning that there are rules to be followed.. Unless it used the persons forum name and then deleted member/ removed member/banned member............. just my opinion :)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hum I think banned members' name are kept, only when "removed" or "deleted", the nick names are lost...
That is not good. It is like wiping the names of dead pharaohs from the pyramids.:emoji_angry:
The archived posts of removed/deleted members are practically lost for MT members.
But, I believe that there will not be difficult to change it.:emoji_pray::giggle:

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys,
From time to time a member asks us to delete the account. This happens very rarely, but it happens.
And for most members that ask for the account to be deleted this is just an impulse decision after they've been part of a flamed thread or the staff took an action that they didn't like. We don't like to deleting accounts, this is why we've added the Deactivate Account feature. But some members, for one reason or another want the account deleted. I could just argue with them but it's like talking with a wall, so in the end I just delete the account and their username is randomized. As you've noticed the posts don't get removed because it would affect the thread discussion, but because the account is gone you cannot easily find the former member posts.
Again, it's not our decision to delete the account and we don't want to do this, but with 50.000 members it will happen.

For banned members, the staff can see a strikethrough the member name, however regular members cannot see it. This is how the forum is setup and we got tired of changing it after each update. We didn't directly ban a member for months, we usually send a Warning - this is why we've update the forum rules and Warning system to be more user friendly - Feedback - We've Updated Our Forum Rules and Warning System.

Would it be possible to differentiate between Deleted Member 123 and Removed Member 123. The first indicating that the member was deleted on own request (right to be forgotten) and Removed Member 123 indicating that the member was removed because of forum rules violation?

When you see Deleted Member [random numbers] it means the account is deleted, and unlike the regular members, you cannot click on the username. Also a deleted member has no badges with the posts (Level, Verified, Content Creator etc). We don't delete accounts unless explicitly asked to do so, so if you see "Deleted Member" it means that the member requested the account to be deleted.

For banned members we don't change the name or delete the account because some members, after 1 or 2 years send us an email that asks to remove the ban. A few emails back and forward, and if we decide that he deserves a second chance we will remove the ban. This is why we don't delete or rename the account. Like I've said above we could add again the strikethrough the username to let the other members know that the user is banned, but it happens so rarely that I don't know if it even matters.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
We don't delete accounts unless explicitly asked to do so, so if you see "Deleted Member" it means that the member requested the account to be deleted.
That is a very kind and proper way.(y):giggle:
I am afraid that the banned users, do not realize that deleting their accounts, means also that all their posts are practically lost for users that remembers them. That is not good for the MT forum as an archived knowledge base.
I think that there will be only rare cases, when the user would like to delete his/her account and wipe his/her nickname from all archived posts.
So, deleting the MT accounts should not remove the nicknames from posts (and possibly badgets too).
Any member is here for the good of others, too. So, wiping the nickname should be done only if the deleted user insists to do it.
I would suggest to add a special point to MT Rules, that the user can ask to wipe his/her nickname, if this is important to him/her for some personal reasons.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.