exjnb's config

exjnb

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 6, 2015
Planning to install VirtualBox, after imaging my C: Drive and copying image to a usually offline External HDD.

Quite interested in ToolWiz Time Machine but haven't tried it yet.

I use McAfee on this machine and Norton internet Security on laptop

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
In your list of Mozilla based browsers you can add Cyberfox it's very good fast and stable;)
You can add a password manager like LastPass which is free to secure your passwords when you are online
Thanks for sharing your config:)

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Add on demand scanners, like MBAM Free and a multi engine Hitman Pro or HerdProtect.

Toolwiz Time Freeze is really a good fully virtualized software that its effective to revert any changes to the modr activated.

Its fine for having a setup of Virtualbox as long you can give efficiently the hardware resources like RAM. ;)

Reactions: exjnb

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Aside from adding some on demand scanners it looks good!! Thanks for sharing your config :)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Other than the above suggestions it looks good. thanks for sharing. :)

Keep the backups up to date. ;)

exjnb

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 6, 2015
Thanks for all the tips.

I actually don't like "McAfee Total Security" myself, but the reason I'm using it is:
1. I get a free multiple seat, multi-platform license from my ISP.
2. I have McAfee on my work machines, and I'm trying to get some way of picking up and reporting False positives at home before I install any software (mostly free, trusted and portable utilities like Notepad++ etc.) at work.
This isn't working too well. I'm starting to think that the Corporate version of McAfee is a total different animal than the one I have at home. Obviously the corporate version at work is totally locked down, but the interface is really different from the consumer "McAfee Total Security" edition, with settings I don't see in the consumer version. It also picks up a lot more False Positives, really stupid things like WinRAR 5.21 setup from the WinRAR official site.

That said, I'm looking for additional protection on top of McAfee at home.

Last edited:

Rogue987

Level 3
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Suggestions:
Replace "McAfee Total Protection" - You can use Qihoo 360 Internet Security which is 10x better and 100% free!
Add "Web of Trust" to your Plugins/Extensions list.
Add Glary Utilities to your "Other Software" list.
Add "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" to your On-Demand Scanner list.
Maybe try out another browser such as Google Chrome or Opera.

exjnb

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 6, 2015
I had never heard of "Qihoo 360 Internet Security" before, will research, but if I replace McAfee within the next few months it will be with Norton Internet Security.
The "RapidFox" add-on I use in Firefox can check a website and/or link with "Web of Trust", Virus Scan (VirusTotal) and I've added in a like to scan with "Norton SafeWeb".
I have Glary Utilities Pro on my older PC, and can't say I really use it that much, I prefer individual utilities.
I've installed and run "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware", thanks
Google Chrome just doesn't grab me, I may try Opera again though.

Thanks for the input

exjnb

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 6, 2015
I've also added the NoScript addon to Firefox - last time I tried it I gave up because it was such a major pain to use, but the UI has improved quite a lot - it is easier now to allow sites I know are good, or temporarily allow sites which are safe but which I may not re-visit for a while.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.