Troubleshoot Expand main partition on hard disk

ant_gamal

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
my laptop is old and

hard disk partition need to change " c " not enough now for operating system win 10 plus install appz

in need to cut from another partition to add to c

i can do it by transfer data to another then partition using any tools

but i need to change that with out transfer data and keep data as it

can i ?

and there is image from easeus
any software do it should i search for to use
hard_3.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have used EASUS software in the past with success with partition management.

I do not know if you can Shrink Logical partitions (E and F) and add them to Primary partition (C). In your screenshot, E and F are Logical partitions, whereas C is Primary.

If possible, it's better to use GPT over MBR. GPT will keep all partitions as Primary instead of using Logical, which is a limitation of using MBR.

More information: Primary Partition vs. Logical Drive: Their Exact Features

Upvote 0

ant_gamal

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
I have used EASUS software in the past with success with partition management.

I do not know if you can Shrink Logical partitions (E and F) and add them to Primary partition (C). In your screenshot, E and F are Logical partitions, whereas C is Primary.

If possible, it's better to use GPT over MBR. GPT will keep all partitions as Primary instead of using Logical, which is a limitation of using MBR.

More information: Primary Partition vs. Logical Drive: Their Exact Features
That is. What I thinking first but I asked cos I did not do before
Convert then cut and attach to c
But if I convert does it will boot successfully

Or new os install fresh one

You can not cut from any f or d and and attach to c
You can do for d or f cut and attach to the other
C not you must del all with c also and do from beginning

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

Gapp

Level 2
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
Space is always an issue when you have started with less. I had problem like that not long ago but to be safe I backed-up (system image) C: to external drive and the drive next to it, say, D: using ATI 2014. I booted to my AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro bootdisk and erased/formatted C: and D: Rebooted to my ATI 2014 boot disc and recovered C:and D: to the new resized partitions. But in mine C:was Primary and D: Logical. Yours is both Primary -- C: and G:

I did that so if anything got messed up I have a safe backup to hang on to in my external drive.

I made some kind of an attempt with Minitool Partition Wizard prior to what I did using AOMEI/ATI 2014, shrinking D: and merging the unallocated space to C: but after that it did not boot.

You are MBR so you may encounter boot issues also...if it was GPT then it'll be fine as all are Primary.

Are you planning to just get some free space from the adjacent partition? Or you wanna get some from G:, E: and F:..? You seem to have small amounts there. E: has a bit more free space at 57GB...
If you plan to get some from either of the 3 partitions it's better to be safe and backup all your partitions first in a safe place. Boot to EASEUS boot disk and delete all partitions then resize it to your choice. Then recover your partitions to the new resized partitions.

Acronis image backups will resize itself to any new size partitions (smaller/larger) but in my experience Macrium does not. Macrium will resize/return it to the size of the previous partition when you backed it up. That's why I have both with me.

Your goal is to "keep data as is" so better if you recover from a backup image.

If you do not have Acronis, you can use DiscWizard or if it's Western Digital use ATI Western Digital Edition both are powered by Acronis. You cannot use Macrium on this as it will just recover the backup in its exact size with its previous size partition. I don't know about the other backup software like AOMEI or the compact editions of Paragon Backup and Recovery if it will re-align a backup during recovery to a resized partition. I only had tried this in Acronis.

Sooner or later you will have to buy a new hdd as the sizes are too tight there. Best bet you get is around 25-30GB from 2 or 3 partitions but it will affect the other partitions also in the long run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ant_gamal

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Dec 30, 2016
i backup and re partition all
thanks
i made MBR
the size of hard disk 1 tera so Does GPT will be good if convert it

as i read advantage will be tangible

Upvote 0

Gapp

Level 2
Verified
Mar 26, 2017
Hope that I helped here. I experienced once after I did a re-sizing and merging damn primary did not boot :( It was a waste of time and had to be without a pc in days until I resolved it. In the end the backups save the day for me.

Is there a thread here about re-sizing /merging partitions here without not to having to go the long way (like I did)..? I cannot see one here about Partition software review..that will be an interesting/knowledge read!

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Y
i backup and re partition all
thanks
i made MBR
the size of hard disk 1 tera so Does GPT will be good if convert it

as i read advantage will be tangible
You can't reliably convert mbr to gpt without danger of losing the data. Ideally you should backup/copy all the data required to an external hdd and then format the to gpt and then reinstall the windows.
I had to convert from mbr to gpt because i moved from BIOS to UEFI (for security reasons and marginally better boot time).

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.