Solved Explorer Page Faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
My Task Manager is showing more than 20,000,000 page faults for explorer.exe. Is that a cause for concern?

G

Guest28

Will you please, Elaborate the issue more? I'm not sure on what your trying to say by * My Task Manager is showing more than 20,000,000 page faults for explorer.exe* Are you trying to say that it's using to much mem use-age?

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
The memory usage is 13,302k which is fine. It is the page fault number that seems fouled up.

Upvote 0

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Page faults aren't cause for concern, although the name makes you think it's some sort of error condition. All a page fault means is that the OS has had to increase the amount of virtual memory required for an application.

Upvote 0

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
If it helps I checked mine and it is showing 71,172K (Memory PWS) and 2,444,591 Page Faults. This is not actually a problem at all though it is typical and personally I think poorly named. Technically it isn't an error like you may be thinking, the "Page Faults" should be considered a measure of how many times the OS attempts to load a block of "Virtual" Memory from the hard drive back into the RAM. Best thing to do is make sure you have enough memory, adjust your page file for YOUR specific needs to best suit YOUR PC, and then remove that column from your Task Manager (View>Select Columns) and forget it is/was there. Enjoy!

EDIT: Didn't finish this post in time to beat Heffe, was on the phone, going to go ahead and post my reply anyways though.

Upvote 0

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Hard to say why this is happening. For example if you open Process Hacker (or Process Explorer and even Task Manager) you'll notice the Page Faults number for Explorer.exe increments every second. Disable the tray icon (View -> Tray Icons) and the number doesn't increase anymore. So the soft page-fault (since there is no I/O) occurs every time the window manager redraws the tray icon. (more info)

Upvote 0

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
If I am not mistaken and as was detailed briefly above this would only point to one of the causes of such an occurrence bogdan, not the only reason. While this is certainly what appears to be a factor it is not the source of things and from what I have read it is common as well as even expected. The same can be observed with pretty much everything listed but that which is explained above tells the story of why some are showing with considerably larger numbers.

Upvote 0

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
bogdan said:
Yes, it was just an example of what can cause soft page faults.

I see, I suppose I took it to be meant as this is why it happens rather than this is how you might see it as it happens, my apologies.:cool:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.