Storage
Seagate 350 GB HDD
Seagate 1 TB HDD
Accessories
24" HD Monitor
750 watt Power Supply
Thermaltake Armour Cooler Master case
Creative SB X-fi sound card
I built this PC in 2006 and had not been powered up in well over 3 years.
ASUS ROG Laptop was used in place of this desktop.
Recently cleaned it and did a clean install of Windows 10 on the 1 TB HDD
350 GB HDD is Unplugged at the moment and has Windows XP installed on it.
This was a Dual boot system with XP & Windows 7 Ultimate.
Windows 10 running smooth as silk on it right now!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have decided to do a little upgrade to this desktop I built in 2006.I have ordered the following CPU and Hardware for my little resurrection project.I wanted to keep the price as low as possible without sacrificing some punch.
  • CPU > Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530TurboBoost to 3.9GHz
  • Motherboard > GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
  • Memory > G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4-19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform ...
  • SSD > SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
The new i5-6600K Skylake rocked in all the benchmark comparisons I looked at.It can also be overclocked.
The motherboard and CPU were a combo deal for a very nice price
Memory was also a good price,a few bucks over $100,so no reason not to go with 16 GB
I also got a good decent priced CPU cooler/fan for less than $70
The OS and programs will be on the SSD and the 1 TB HDD used for backup and storing files
Since I do not game on PC anymore I am just going to leave the Video Card alone. I think the Intel HD Graphics would probably be fine in and of itself.

So the above is going to set me back $600 but I think it will be a nice speedy desktop once it's done.

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Nice choices! :) I've always favoured desktops over laptops, and have a plan like yours for the near future. This machine will be more than enough even for rough&tough daily usages.

Thanks for sharing this valuable preferences with us ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nice choices! :) I've always favoured desktops over laptops, and have a plan like yours for the near future. This machine will be more than enough even for rough&tough daily usages.

Thanks for sharing this valuable preferences with us ;)
I like desktops also but my ASUS ROG had better specs than my current desktop with a 17.5" screen.It is quite a beast but unfortunately not very portable.However I miss having a good desktop and ASUS has had problems with Windows 10 at least my ROG did.
So I still have the ROG running Windows 7 but I really like Windows 10 hence my resurrection of the old desktop.
I think with this current upgrade I will be set for some years to come.I compared the i7 Skylake 6600K to the i5 Skylake 6600K and for the money the i5 was the way to go for me.The newer ones coming out soon are supposed to be locked so this i5 is definitely the right fit as it can be overclocked.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's too much on that revival of your desktop. ;) What can I say, all of the bottleneck problems will surely never present at the case.

Nice setup. :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I like desktops also but my ASUS ROG had better specs than my current desktop with a 17.5" screen.It is quite a beast but unfortunately not very portable.However I miss having a good desktop and ASUS has had problems with Windows 10 at least my ROG did.
So I still have the ROG running Windows 7 but I really like Windows 10 hence my resurrection of the old desktop.
I think with this current upgrade I will be set for some years to come.I compared the i7 Skylake 6600K to the i5 Skylake 6600K and for the money the i5 was the way to go for me.The newer ones coming out soon are supposed to be locked so this i5 is definitely the right fit as it can be overclocked.

I really like ROGs but intense gaming on a laptop just does not fit to my sense of usage. I play games on my humble laptop at the moment but only reason is that my older PC is not usable, for now. Yes, I remember that you wrote here about your problems on your ROG with Win 10, still no fixes or ways to solve? :( True, if you are not going to play massive games or make some brilliant animations with 3DSMax etc. then you would not really need that i7 for daily use, specially on a custom-built PC. Trust me, you will feel no difference and no lags for sure. ;) The money difference is the biggest factor.. Will you really need the overclock, or you are going to just see how much you can perform with that CPU? :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Will you really need the overclock, or you are going to just see how much you can perform with that CPU? :)
I always like to have the option to overclock especially if I get the itch to game again.All I would need is a new video card and possibly a new power supply.
I must admit though I like to overclock just to see how much I can get out of it :D I will probably overclock it at some time just to see how it performs.However with Turbo boost to 3.9 GHz I probably wouldn't notice much of a difference(overclocking) using it for everyday use.

Reactions: Sven

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.