Advice Request Looking for advice for new Desktop I will get. (Soon I hope.)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I finally got word that my new computer was ordered today, I still need to get a date for the delivery, but this should give me some time to get advice here from you people. Here are some specs of the new computer that was ordered. (It is a ready-made PC.)

Specifications:

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro
Motherboard: B560 ATX Wi-Fi / 1200 Socket (ATX)
Processor: Intel i9 11900K - 8 cores - 16 threads - 3,5 GHz (Turbo 5,3 GHz)
CPU Cooler: Master Liquid 240mm RGB(Active.) Air Cooling. (Passive.)
SSD: 1TB M2.0 NVMe (Read: 3500MB/s, Write: 2700MB/s)
RAM: RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x 16GB)
Graphics card: Nvidia RTX 4060 8GB
Outer casing: Sharkoon REV100 (Height: 444mm, Wide: 215mm, Depth: 45,2mm)
Power: 750Watt - 80Plus GOLD
Lan: Realtek 2.5 Gbps
Sound: Realtek ALC892
USB: 11 ports (Of different kinds.)

Now here is something I am not sure of, on a picture of the PC it mentions that it comes with a 1-year free license for Norton 360 Deluxe. But on the side of the webpage it mentions...

"When you purchase a selected laptop, you get 1 year Norton 360 Deluxe for free. You will receive a voucher code by email within 48 hours of your purchase." (Uhm what??)

Guess I will have to wait and see if I indeed get a Voucher code within 48 hours or not. If so, then I will try Norton 360 Deluxe, since I have read good things about it. But Norton beside the point, what would be the best first things to do when I have my new PC in and up and running? Any advice and tips are welcome, since I have never used Windows 11 Pro before, so I have no experience with the new functions that it adds compared to Windows 11 Home?

BTW, I will be hooking up my 5 TB external HD to it, so that should help as well. (Storage wise. :) )

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Can't you call the vendor and ask if the free Norton license applies to your PC? I would get the full name and note the date and time of your call if you;re assured that it does. I would also take a screenshot of the page showing your exact model with that offer on it. Nice PC by the way--looks like you can upgrade some components like the gpu later if you wanted. (y)

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Can't you call the vendor and ask if the free Norton license applies to your PC? I would get the full name and note the date and time of your call if you;re assured that it does. I would also take a screenshot of the page showing your exact model with that offer on it. Nice PC by the way--looks like you can upgrade some components like the gpu later if you wanted. (y)

Just made a screenshot from the page of the computer that was ordered as you advised, just in case there is a "misunderstanding" somewhere. :) (y)

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well I called the company that ordered my new PC and from what they can tell, I should be getting a voucher code by e-mail within 3 days after purchase for Norton 360 Deluxe. Now let's wait and see if it is going to happen as I was told. :)

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well, I just found an e-mail that contains my voucher code for Norton 360 Deluxe. At least that is already in my possession, because one person where I bought the PC said I would get a voucher code in my e-mail... and another person said no. I have it now, and I am curious to try it out once I have my new PC. :)

But I already have a question or two about Norton 360 Deluxe. It comes with unlimited use VPN. Maybe not the best, but still of better use to me then the so-called VPN that comes with BD Total Security. (A whopping 200mb a day! :cautious: so take it out already, Bitdefender, who are you kidding here.)

But my question about the Norton VPN is this, when I use it, is it compatible with NextDNS? I think I read somewhere that it could cause issues between the two, but I am not certain. Also, once I have Norton 360 Deluxe installed, are there Windows functions that I do not need to use or activate? (Just want to be careful.)

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
But my question about the Norton VPN is this, when I use it, is it compatible with NextDNS? I think I read somewhere that it could cause issues between the two, but I am not certain. Also, once I have Norton 360 Deluxe installed, are there Windows functions that I do not need to use or activate? (Just want to be careful.)

Seriously, no one has any advice for me on this?

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012

Still looking for an answer to these 2 questions everyone.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

It would be better if you clarified that with both the companies, but I am interested to know why you intend to use another firewall when you have Norton 360 Deluxe; Norton would be self sufficient
Im not sure why one would even consider that, as Nortons Firewall is top notch. Its one of its main strengths.

@Morro As for your question on Nortons VPN, I doubt NextDNS will have any conflicts. Nortons VPN runs on Amazon servers though if you need to futher research. I have tested many DNS solutions on the VPN i run without issue though so would assume it would be the same.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
@Ultimate Vision

Thank you very much, I really appreciate that. :D(y)

@SumTingWong

On this picture I took from their website, it looks like it has case fans? (That is the PC I am getting, hopefully this week.)

960x1200.jpg

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
:D(y)

@SumTingWong

On this picture I took from their website, it looks like it has case fans? (That is the PC I am getting, hopefully this week.)

View attachment 278669
Passive: no fans and air circulation

The pc in the picture is active cooling. How much is this PC cost? Is there option for 13th gen i9 cpu?

13th gen i9 cpu give you more than 11% performance over 11th gen i9.

Morro

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Passive: no fans and air circulation

The pc in the picture is active cooling. How much is this PC cost? Is there option for 13th gen i9 cpu?

13th gen i9 cpu give you more than 11% performance over 11th gen i9.

No, they did not offer an option for 13th Gen i9 cpu. :(

As for the cost of the PC, that is 1350 euro, which is a lot, but it is also a lot better than what I am still using right now. It is also a lot cheaper than what I first wanted, namely, with a 13th gen i9 cpu and the Geforce RTX 4070 Ti. But it would have cost me over 700 euros more, the PC would then have cost me almost 2100 euro... which is not acceptable for me.

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

As for the cost of the PC, that is 1350 euro, which is a lot, but it is also a lot better than what I am still using right now. It is also a lot cheaper than what I first wanted, namely, with a 13th gen i9 cpu and the Geforce RTX 4070 Ti. But it would have cost me over 700 euros more, the PC would then have cost me almost 2100 euro... which is not acceptable for me.
At the base and boosted clock speeds i doubt you would notice the difference, that thing you ordered is already a beast. Im sure you will have to work extra hard to tax that thing into submission. ;)

Congrats!!

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

1350$ not bad. Good hardware quality. I will say you have a very good deal on this rig that is 99% better than oem pre-built.

At the base and boosted clock speeds i doubt you would notice the difference, that thing you ordered is already a beast. Im sure you will have to work extra hard to tax that thing into submission. ;)

Congrats!!
13th gen Intel cpu has P-E and E-Core. In gaming, 13th gen i9 is more than 11% faster than 11th gen cpu due to E-Core handle OS processes and non-intensive background processes while P-Core will get full performance on gaming and intensive tasks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.