External HDD's / Malware Prevention

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi;

I have an external HDD attached to my laptop all-day, is there any way of stopping malware spreading from my laptop to the external HDD, or is simply pullying-the-plug the only option?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't allow malware to get on your PC, which falls under basic internet security practices.

If you wish to save some power, you can always disconnect any external peripherals when not in use.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Don't allow malware to get on your PC, which falls under basic internet security practices.

If you wish to save some power, you can always disconnect any external peripherals when not in use.
That is a great suggestion i think, it works for me. :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @Tony Cole. I felt an answer to your question could be aimed toward the prevention of unknowingly transferring hidden infections, in which case unplugging your HDD seemed a sensible prophylactic. This intrigued me as it also seemed logical your external HDD might be able to be protected in a way similar to a Virtual Machine which,o_O as in Virtual Box, can be safely isolated from exposing :eek:communicable infections to it's host system.
Perhaps beginning by using barrier preventatives (like gloves) for your system such as Shadow Defender http://www.shadowdefender.com/ or a free program such as Time Freeze http://www.toolwiz.com/en/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/ might satisfy your concerns.
Personally, I always use Sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie when browsing.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
That's brillant, thank you Cats! If I sandboxed the HDD it would be protected against the nasties? Hope you are well. I have a license key for Sandboxie, I shall install it now.

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
TBH to prevent alot of crypto ransomware malware I recommend making a backup of your whole drive all partitions and rename the backup file to something that most ransomware wont encrypt eg. .html or something else.
Then when you need to restore just change the file ext back to the normal one and you are set

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.