ExtremeTech Overclocking Guide

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Tanstaafl is a term popularized by sci-fi writer Robert Heinlein. It stands for "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Yet overclocking is like free lunch for computer enthusiasts. By cranking up the speeds on your computer's CPU, memory, and video card, your free lunch not only includes a sandwich, but Kool-Aid and pudding as well! Overclocking can boost your computer's performance significantly, and if you're careful not to push your equipment too far, the only cost is your time.

If you haphazardly crank up all your settings, however, you may indeed end up paying for lunch, with the cost being system stability or even hardware failures and voided warranties. It's this possibility that used to make overclocking something only the most hardcore users would even attempt.

Read more

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
My tip is that the cpu temp should be between 70-90 Celsius when it's working I even if todays cpu's will be able to handle with no problem 100 Celsius. The graphic card should be more than 100 Celsius; graphic cards are in general hotter than cpus.

If you intend to over your ram make sure your motherboard gives you the possibility to overclock the ram and buy a ram cooler in ensure no damage due to overheat.

When you do overclock overclock the wanted with care and small intervals.
Zalman is my eyes a good company. They have many product for every occasion and their laptop cooler are good (knowledge from experience)

if people want me to attach pics/pdf please tell me and I will :)

I hope I am not offtopic.

Regards,
Valentin N

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.