F-Secure 17.5 released

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The latest stable version for F-Secure on PC have been updated to 17.5 and that includes SAFE and the Antivirus version. The update should happen automatic but, for me personal after waited 2 weeks since it's official release and after a support case, decided to download the latest installer for SAFE and re-install. Worked flawless and the installation process in my case was silly fast as it took less then 1 minute and I didn't need to enter the license again on the website, even if I removed it as step one. The Capricorn ( Avira ) engine seem to update itself much faster then the previous Aquarius ( Bitdefender ) engine. Easy checked in the AUA.log.

@silversurfer managed to find the changelog and that was deeply appreciated. Big thanks again @silversurfer (y)(y)(y)

What's new in F-Secure SAFE for PC/Internet Security - F-Secure Community
Dialog and notification enhancements
  • 'Recent events' has a Clear all button.
  • The Advanced network protection toast message for potentially unwanted application (riskware) has a Trust button.
  • The DeepGuard toast message for potentially unwanted application (riskware) has a Remove button.
Family Rules enhancements
  • The main user interface displays a warning if a child's account has administrative rights and parental control/family rules is turned on.
  • The Allow/deny web sites feature works for individual web pages; not just web sites.
Product architecture changed
  • Instead of three separate modules that combined to make the product, there is now just a single package.
  • The product is installed first, and the license is entered/acquired after installation.
  • The new architecture makes the installation and updates more reliable.
  • Smaller disk space required.
  • Reduced the memory footprint (excluding Ultralight processes).
Subscription/licensing subsystem redesign
  • A subscription reminder is first shown as a toast message and only closer to expiration date, as a dialog.
  • The subscription expiration date is shown in the local timezone with hour accuracy.
  • The main user interface has a Manage subscription link, which turns into a Renew link when the subscription is about to expire.
  • A subscription update is shown as a toast message with the new end date (if available).
  • The subscription status updates faster and in all places of the product at the same time.
  • The new virus signature databases are not downloaded when the product has expired.
Other improvements
  • When you report a website from the browsing protection block page, the URL is pre-filled in the submit form.
  • Support for the Korean language was added.
  • The F-Secure Support tool has been improved:
    • The F-Secure Support tool supports high resolution and accessibility features.
    • The F-Secure Support tool uses zlib for compression instead of 7-zip. You can now inspect more easily what has been collected before you send it to F-Secure. This helps with privacy and transparency.
The following features were removed:
  • The Installation complete page, as it did not bring additional value.
  • A warning indicating the Firewall is off. Windows shows the warning already.
  • Browsing time lock mode. Now the whole device is always locked.
  • The Installed applications page from Common settings.
  • The Subscription keys page from Common settings.
Note: We strongly recommend that you remove all other security products before installation.
@Lord Ami is actively testing F-Secures Beta product, now version 17.6 in the HUB. :emoji_beer::emoji_beer::emoji_beer:

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
That looks like one of their most important update ever. Going for the Avira engine is a good move in my opinion and will make it even lighter. You know what ? That update has tempted me too much. I'm gonna have to give the trial a go tonight and see for myself ;)

Thanks for the share (y)

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
If you will check 17.5 tell me your opinion for the performance.
It can be extremely different on different machines. Comes down to the hardware but also the installed software and whats used. Even your Internet connection can play a big role in the performance. For example F-Secure is well known not to play great with all other security products when doing a fresh install or re-install. It's even officially recommended to remove all other security products before a installation, but that is not 100% correct information. Even I as many others here on MT have more then one security product and in the latest update on one of my machines, zero compatible issues. I actually never had any. Not since I stopped fiddle with too many softwares. :D

At the moment, it works even a bit better then version 17.4 as the Capricorn updates is faster and when I test scan, very fast and smooth. But thats on my machine and my hardware, software etc. On yours, it can unlucky be the exact opposite but in general what I heard, listen and experienced, it's not a general all over constant issue with F-Secure.

Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It can be extremely different on different machines. Comes down to the hardware but also the installed software and whats used. Even your Internet connection can play a big role in the performance. For example F-Secure is well known not to play great with all other security products when doing a fresh install or re-install. It's even officially recommended to remove all other security products before a installation, but that is not 100% correct information. Even I as many others here on MT have more then one security product and in the latest update on one of my machines, zero compatible issues. I actually never had any.

At the moment, it works even a bit better then version 17.4 as the Capricorn updates is faster and when I test scan, very fast and smooth. But thats on my machine and my hardware, software etc. On yours, it can unlucky be the exact opposite but in general what I heard and listen, it's not a general all over constant issue with F-Secure.
Thanks. Maby i give a try again to F-Secure. But 17.4 especialy on update kill my system. The rest i have not any problem with F-Secure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.