Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Quote: "

Version 19.0​

Released February 2023

New features
  • Integrated Password Vault (F-Secure Total)
    Note:This feature is only available if included in your subscription.
    • You can access your passwords in the product's main user interface.
    • If you have the standalone ID PROTECTION product installed, you can migrate your passwords to the integrated Password Vault.
    • After migrating your passwords, the standalone ID PROTECTION product will continue to work, but you can also uninstall it.
    • Note that you can only configure the password manager browser extension to work with one product at a time.
  • Password Vault browser extension improvements
    • If credentials for the current website are available in Password Vault, you can access copying options via the extension's main icon.
    • You can now search Password Vault credentials via the browser extension.
    • You can save new website credentials directly from the browser to Password Vault.
  • Integrated Virtual private network (VPN)
    Note:This feature is only available if included in your subscription.
    • You can access your VPN settings from the product's main user interface.
    • Encrypts your connection and protects your IP address online.
    • You can change your virtual location.
    • Killswitch basic functionality: cuts off internet access if the VPN connection is disrupted.
    • You can set trusted networks.
    • Automatic VPN connection after device restart.
    • Tracking protection.
    • VPN protocol selection.
  • Ad blocker
    • Prevents loading content from common advertising servers, improving you browsing experience.
    • You can see the statistics of blocked ads on the Secure Browsing & Banking view.
  • Website rating submission via browser extension menu
    • You can suggest a new rating for websites that have no rating or have an incorrect rating.
    • To access this feature, pin the Browsing Protection by F-Secure extension to your browser toolbar from your browser's extension menu.
  • Visual and usability related improvements
    • Unified feature icons across products.
    • Visual progress and complete indicators for notifications in the main user interface.
    • The following views now remember their size and position: main user interface, settings, event history, scan wizard, and help.
    • The feature cards in the main user interface are now organized so that commonly used feature cards are higher.
    • The "Turn off all protection" option has been added to the Secure Browsing & Banking view.
Fixed issues:
  • Issues with dark mode have been fixed.
  • The issue where the Password Vault browser extension injected its iframe to web editor (such as WordPress) pages when editing them has been fixed. "

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Small feedback on this update.

For starters those that haven't seen much or don't know what the password vault/ID Protection is all about can check out a small review here:

The main logo/icon is changed.
2023-02-14_11-08-17.jpg

The VPN ( named Privacy VPN ) is as said, now integrated into the UI ( user interface ) both in the settings and main window, but only if you actually have a license for it as included in the TOTAL package. Otherwise you won't see the VPN at all.
2023-02-14_11-06-14.jpg

The previous standalone Freedome VPN gets recommended to be disabled before the new built-in is turned ON. Did that and also disabled the automatic start with system. Now also complete un-installed after some basic checks.

With the VPN it's very important to check and turn ON two settings if one regular use it. The automatic start with the system and the Kill Switch. As always if using a VPN, check if webRTC leak the machines local IP. That needs to be fixed/disabled. Check your browser setting as webRTC is a browser feature, not a VPN feature.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
It would turn into WoT then 😐
FS wrote "you can suggest a new rating for websites that have no rating or have an incorrect rating." but probably that doesn't mean they would always listen to users suggestions...
If a specific website has a bad reputation for some reason according to FS database then it makes no difference when some users trying to give positive rating to this website ;)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
FS wrote "you can suggest a new rating for websites that have no rating or have an incorrect rating." but probably that doesn't mean they would always listen to users suggestions...
If a specific website has a bad reputation for some reason according to FS database then it makes no difference when some users trying to give positive rating to this website ;)
I still see no point of user ratings, if I can't trust them. I guess it could be a way for reporting bugs in website detection.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I still see no point of user ratings, if I can't trust them. I guess it could be a way for reporting bugs in website detection.
It does normally serve a purpose. Hopefully make users think twice before they actually click on any url from their search engine. Getting infected/loose credentials via SEO poisoning is a very old and successful attack vector, so for common home users I would absolutely recommend it when possible. But search engines in general are extremely powerful tools and this filter option is not bullet proof. Hopefully this implementation makes it better, but time will tell.

Update:

This " new " ranking option where users also can report sites via the extension, don't seem to work in all officially supported browsers. I have only tested Edge and Firefox so far, and it works in Edge. Not sure what the problem is with FF, as update or try to re-install the extension don't help.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It does normally serve a purpose. Hopefully make users think twice before they actually click on any url from their search engine. Getting infected/loose credentials via SEO poisoning is a very old and successful attack vector, so for common home users I would absolutely recommend it when possible. But search engines in general are extremely powerful tools and this filter option is not bullet proof. Hopefully this implementation makes it better, but time will tell.

Update:

This " new " ranking option where users also can report sites via the extension, don't seem to work in all officially supported browsers. I have only tested Edge and Firefox so far, and it works in Edge. Not sure what the problem is with FF, as update or try to re-install the extension don't help.
I think the compatibility with Firefox has been somewhat awkward for some time.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
My installation of F-Secure SAFE (in US) has not yet updated, still on 18.5. Is this update a phased rollout? TIA
Try to click the " Check for updates " or 1 extra time on the " Check Now " option inside settings, and see if it downloads the " Oneclient SAFE 5.1.1426 " as that will initiate the update.

If that didn't help the latest version should be available as a package in the My F-Secure. To be sure, release the license first in My F-Secure and then un-install the local version. Keep us updated what happened. (y):coffee:

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Try to click the " Check for updates " or 1 extra time on the " Check Now " option inside settings, and see if it downloads the " Oneclient SAFE 5.1.1426 " as that will initiate the update.

If that didn't help the latest version should be available as a package in the My F-Secure. To be sure, release the license first in My F-Secure and then un-install the local version. Keep us updated what happened. (y):coffee:
I've already tried clicking the updates check multiple times with no luck. Think I'll wait it out rather than uninstall and reinstall but thanks for the suggestion.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018

Tried checking again, no luck, also looked in My F Secure and there is no way to download newest version that I can find. I wonder if its because I am using the free 3 year trial that was offered on here awhile ago? Its a Virgin Media edition.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Tried checking again, no luck, also looked in My F Secure and there is no way to download newest version that I can find. I wonder if its because I am using the free 3 year trial that was offered on here awhile ago? Its a Virgin Media edition.
Naah I don't think it should matter, but I could be wrong.

Try this! Where it says licenses on the My F-Secure page, and if you have a value/amount that is zero/0 you are forced to " release " 1 license to being able download a new file from My F-Secure. Personal I would try release 1 license for the machine/device I want to test install again on.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I have probably same free 3 years license from "giveaway" of Virgin Media. Yesterday, here on Windows 11, F-Secure got auto-updated to new version 19.0

FS.png

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I also have the VM edition and wasn't getting the update so I just released the license and uninstalled it, then downloaded the new installer (VM) and v19.0 successfully installed. Thx!

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Naah I don't think it should matter, but I could be wrong.

Try this! Where it says licenses on the My F-Secure page, and if you have a value/amount that is zero/0 you are forced to " release " 1 license to being able download a new file from My F-Secure. Personal I would try release 1 license for the machine/device I want to test install again on.
Still have 1 license left, 4 out of 5 used.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.