Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

Szellem

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Thank you very much. I'll download it now.;)

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Any information yet on when the 19.4 final release will or might be released?
I didn't see the official announcement on the forum of its public release, just the build number in the beta thread. When I did a clean install yesterday, it installed the new version 19.4 (5.5.1190.0) edit: It was just announced here:

You'll find that it now installs in the Windows Program File folder (64-bit) and the two little arrows at the top right of the main UI, collapse and expand the "You are protected" panel to bring a more simplified view, more room for the modules underneath to display.

It also appears that the app is now using Amazon AWS servers, (Lambda) which can be confirmed by doing a DNS leak test. If that matters to you or not :)
Screenshot 2024-04-18 102257.png

dns leak 4 14.jpg

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
An informative post was just submitted on the forum, regarding F-Secure now using Amazon servers.
So it’s basically used as I suspected. But only for unknown urls. So a dns leak test that spams hundreds to thousands of queries is going to trigger it more than your daily surfing.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I'm not familiar with what should be there after the update, but I still see many files under Program Files (x86)/F-Secure/TOTAL.
That's why I did a complete uninstall of 19.3. It's just the remnant folder, doing no harm in (x86), maybe it's empty? I did clean up the leftovers (even their uninstall tool leaves some folders) possibly in Program Files (x86), but usually left in Program Data, Users (your PC name) App Data/Local, then installed 19.4.

f secure install.png

f secure install2.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
That's why I did a complete uninstall of 19.3. It's just the remnant folder, doing no harm in (x86), maybe it's empty? I did clean up the leftovers (even their uninstall tool leaves some folders) possibly in Program Files (x86), but usually left in Program Data, Users (your PC name) App Data/Local, then installed 19.4.

View attachment 282923
View attachment 282924
I also just did a fresh install to check the update out, I had cleaned everything when I uninstalled it last time. Everything went to Program Files.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
If you tick the two little arrows at the top right to expand and collapse the "You are protected panel" and it doesn't open back up, I figured it out what it could be yesterday, answered my own question 😅

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
I also just did a fresh install to check the update out, I had cleaned everything when I uninstalled it last time. Everything went to Program Files.
I don't have an F-Secure folder under Program Files but under Program Files (x86)/F-Secure/TOTAL there's an x64 folder with files. Files under Program Data/F-Secure haven't been modified since 7/23! o_O

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I don't have an F-Secure folder under Program Files but under Program Files (x86)/F-Secure/TOTAL there's an x64 folder with files. Files under Program Data/F-Secure haven't been modified since 7/23! o_O
I uninstalled the old version of F-Secure and deleted the F-Secure folder under Program Files (x86) in Safe Mode. Then I installed the new version of F-Secure and it is now in the Programs folder.

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
Regarding 64 bit installation:

"The app is now provided as a native 64-bit version. First-time installations on 64-bit systems are now 64-bit. Current existing installations are enabled for 64-bit support during the upgrade, and the following (Total PC 19.5) upgrade migrates the product from 32-bit to 64-bit on 64-bit systems."

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
After revisiting this I still really like F-Secure. However, the DNS reputation checks are a bit annoying.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
After revisiting this I still really like F-Secure. However, the DNS reputation checks are a bit annoying.
And it doesn't stop there...lo and behold, the VPN...lol. It always used to be their servers listed on top, were the same as below, usually the one server. Now it's Google servers, and Amazon. If I refresh the page, it can load multiple Google servers. There was a post regarding F-Secure improvements that would be coming out for the VPN, maybe it has to do with using Google and Amazon servers for better speed, security, available servers and search results?

F-SecureAWS Internet Security and F-SecureAWS Total...lol ;) :)

2024-04-22_14-14-54.png

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
And it doesn't stop there...lo and behold, the VPN...lol. It always used to be their servers listed on top, were the same as below, usually the one server. Now it's Google servers, and Amazon. If I refresh the page, it can load multiple Google servers. There was a post regarding F-Secure improvements that would be coming out for the VPN, maybe it has to do with using Google and Amazon servers for better speed, security, available servers and search results?

F-SecureAWS Internet Security and F-SecureAWS Total...lol ;) :)

View attachment 282957
Honestly I don't think that's a big deal if they set them up right, but then again I don't believe we have any real privacy on the internet. I don't use the VPN, and honestly their web filtering is their best aspect so I think if the AWS servers speed things up and keep costs down that's great. But dang it's like there is no AV that doesn't have a personal downside for me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.