6. Quick scanning
CONS
1. Pretty slow on Removal

2. RANSOMWARE!
BOTTOM LINE
According to my testings, F-Secure was doing amazing until
the Ransomware locked us. Since it got a perfect 5 out of 5
stars, but Ransomware locked us, it is really hard for me to
recommend it or not. I will let you guys decide!

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
If i understand you correctly then the Randsomware did lock your system right? And F-Secure did not stop it?
Question: Did you install F-Secure on the test machine with those test viruses active (Install on infected OS?)
Because F-Secure did always have a problem with pre-infected systems.
Also i would like to know the specific Randsomware that managed to lock your system.
Because there are some R-Wares out there that can actually bypass any AV locally but more importantly they also bypass the firewall and web filtering modules.
So if you used one of those R-Wares in your test then the result would be negative by default and this would not due to the performance of F-Secure resident and web filtering module.

In regards to F-Secures slow removal, this is due the fact it creates a snapshot and a restore point.
The aim is to compare the snap shots in order to determine if the malware has been removed properly and this takes some time depending on your machine itself.
A colleague of mine uses F-Secure on all his systems and he is VERY pleased with its performance and specially its detection and zeroday protection and he showed me several times how well rounded F-Secure is.
And judging from the test data i have seen it does exactly, what is claims to do. Which is good for the client user obviously.
Personally i would not use it because i am happy with the current AV solution that we are running at home and at our company.
But for those who look for a no-nonsense AV program you could do much worse then F-Secure and i would personally regard it as one of the very best in its class.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnosis

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
If i understand you correctly then the Randsomware did lock your system right? And F-Secure did not stop it?
Question: Did you install F-Secure on the test machine with those test viruses active (Install on infected OS?)
Because F-Secure did always have a problem with pre-infected systems.
Also i would like to know the specific Randsomware that managed to lock your system.
Because there are some R-Wares out there that can actually bypass any AV locally but more importantly they also bypass the firewall and web filtering modules.
So if you used one of those R-Wares in your test then the result would be negative by default and this would not due to the performance of F-Secure resident and web filtering module.

In regards to F-Secures slow removal, this is due the fact it creates a snapshot and a restore point.
The aim is to compare the snap shots in order to determine if the malware has been removed properly and this takes some time depending on your machine itself.
A colleague of mine uses F-Secure on all his systems and he is VERY pleased with its performance and specially its detection and zeroday protection and he showed me several times how well rounded F-Secure is.
And judging from the test data i have seen it does exactly, what is claims to do. Which is good for the client user obviously.
Personally i would not use it because i am happy with the current AV solution that we are running at home and at our company.
But for those who look for a no-nonsense AV program you could do much worse then F-Secure and i would personally regard it as one of the very best in its class.

Cheers
I used a fresh clean virtual machine like in all my test's
and I do like f-secure because they are rreally good, especially blocking phishing sites because some av's don't even block phishing sites
And I ended up using ransomware from the malware pack created by malware center, so I am going to have to ask him which ransomware it is.
But I am also satisfied with my current av as I am dual booting with OpenSuse linux

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
i am not surprised that f secure did not caught the ransomeware. F secure has weakness for it.

Still i use F secure.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
i am not surprised that f secure did not caught the ransomeware. F secure has weakness for it.

Still i use F secure.
Well they use to have a weakness for some web based exploits that could inject certain malware past the systems security.
Not sure if this weakness is still present with their improved engine and scanning modules.
But truth to be said there are some R-Wares out there that are so nasty that they can best any AV without much hassle.
And in regards to the web protection modules provided by multiple vendors, it needs to be said that these protection modules are far from perfect even tho they are improving greatly over time.
Anyway R-Wares will probably become more advanced and more of a hassle then normal malware due to their success and relative easy distribution.
So imo i think this will cause major vendors like F-Secure some serious headpains.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Hi,Hello Greeting,

For the Ramsomware, within your test, please use Hitman Pro with Kickstart. I would like to see if, Hitman Pro with Kickstart can remove various-es Ramsomware. This will help them improve their software. Also,I would like to see in your tests for Rootkits Removal with Malwarebytes Anti-rootkits and PCHunter use. To see,if it the software can remove these Rootkits. Many many thanks! :)

Malware Security

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2013
Hi,Hello Greeting,

For the Ramsomware, within your test, please use Hitman Pro with Kickstart. I would like to see if, Hitman Pro with Kickstart can remove various-es Ramsomware. This will help them improve their software. Also,I would like to see in your tests for Rootkits Removal with Malwarebytes Anti-rootkits and PCHunter use. To see,if it the software can remove these Rootkits. Many many thanks! :)
Your welcome!
And thats a great idea with hitmanpro kickstart, it totally slipped my mind and i use it!lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.