Not open for further replies.

Malfhas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

In your opinion which of the two is the best antivirus in Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit?

Thank you.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
My vote goes to F-Secure, it has a good detection rate and uses Bitdefender engine and most of the time it runs lighter than Bitdefender itself.

Reactions: frogboy

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
in terms of ram usage: both are almost the same, well avast seems kind of light compared to f-seure, but on boot avast may slowdown the whole pc

real world system impact: well f-secure for me is the winner here, as you would not notice it is there, avast also, but from time to time an increase in disk read will appear, for example if you open a new pendrive in your pc, it may not respong properly (your pc)

Features: avast is the winner, it has sandboxing, hardened mode, etc, however this doesnt mean you are well protected, for example when my classmates are coding every time we compile a program in c# avast sandbox reacts to it like if it is malware... not a big deal but may be bothersome... in the other hand i could barely see f-secure zero day protection... but it does work, is a matter of choice

Reactions: Anupam

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Avast for me.

I hate the F-Secure UI. Also no Sandbox. Not much options. You can't add your custom list of WebUrl Blocking. It creates lots of separate processes and system impact I felt was high.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
F-Secure --> they respect your privacy / Avast--> they do't respect
F-Secure--> many Fps/ Avast-->very few false alarm
F-Secure--> buggy/ Avast--> no buggy
F-Secure-->good detectin/Avast-->good detection
F-Secure-->heavy/Avast-->fast
which one u need?

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I have not tried Win 10 until now, so I cannot vote here. But I hope to compare them in terms of behavior blocker.

Some double-click tests (real-time scanning disabled) conducted by the users show that, the behavior blocker of F-Secure, which is called DeepGuard, has a good prevention rate against malwares. This module uses not only the cloud-based reputation, but also local-based behavior analysis. Therefore, it can work well even in the offline status. It is also confirmed by the Behavior Blocker test of AV-Comparative, which is conducted in the offline scenario. In 2015, F-Secure won the second place in this test: http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/avc_beh_201503_en.pdf.

By contrast, I have seen many people complaining the poor prevention rate of the behavior blocker of avast, which is called DeepScreen. What was worse, I heard that DeepScreen nearly could not work in the offline scenario, though I have not tested this by myself.

As mentioned in the above posts, a good thing of avast is its aggressive hardened mode, which can be viewed as an application whitelist. But it seems that this function highly depends on the cloud. Furthermore, if my memory serves me right, it can only block EXE files, but cannot block scripts & dlls.

Since you are using the Enterprise version of Windows, you can construct your own local application-black/whitelist with SRP and AppLocker.

Last edited:

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
F-Secure--> many Fps/ Avast-->very few false alarm

As their rating are not exact but we can rely on these statistics.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/avc_fps_201509_en.pdf

@Malfhas F-Secure has better detection rate (because of its own-house updates and bitdefender update) but at the cost of some buggy UI (their new UI version has been released recently so till I haven't tested it much).
As onlineSword told, F-Secure Deepguard is also there to prevent from zero-day malwares. It uses windows firewall module just like Avira.

Avast - It gives you more features like Home security network, sandbox,etc but their detection is only good.

Overall you need an AV to protect from malwares as you can have features as per your requirement by other softwares .

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Since performance of each vendor differs on each system, one can not really say too much about performance, however avast on my system is very heavy lately and F-Secure has large disk I/O on boot. Detection rates high for both (take note that I always set them to max settings), zero day is better on F-Secure, web blocking (I don't really know), avast has it's own firewall while F-Secure boosts defenses of Windows Firewall. avast has far more customization to be made while F-Secure is more for set and forget however if set to, F-Secure will give you a choice to remove or exclude a file immediately unlike avast which doesn't give an option for exclusions unless you set it manually or go to virus chest and restore/add to exclusions.

Personally I pick F-Secure. I also trust F-Secure more than avast when it comes to my data. I think avast is far more buggy than F-Secure. I've never had problems with F-Secure but avast UI does crash pretty often when managing a lot of settings in one go. Could also be related to system specifications.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
As their rating are not exact but we can rely on these statistics.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/avc_fps_201509_en.pdf

@Malfhas F-Secure has better detection rate (because of its own-house updates and bitdefender update) but at the cost of some buggy UI (their new UI version has been released recently so till I haven't tested it much).
As onlineSword told, F-Secure Deepguard is also there to prevent from zero-day malwares. It uses windows firewall module just like Avira.

Avast - It gives you more features like Home security network, sandbox,etc but their detection is only good.

Overall you need an AV to protect from malwares as you can have features as per your requirement by other softwares .
thanks for information. ;)
but i think F-Secure have more Fp because it have 2 engines,see: BD Fps+F-secure Fps.
brain said 2 engine have more Fps than 1 engine, all of us know BD is king of Fp :D

Reactions: norman and Anupam

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
F-Secure IS (except Firewall)can be an equivalent too Emsisoft Internet Security whereas the effectiveness is simplified yet their secondary support component is very active (Deep Guard).

Avast IS is another worth choice to have, but majority of cases is to tweak based on your preferences.

At the end of day, number of features does not significant the increase of protection. Where its all about the techniques and implementation type to detect it.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

For over sixteen years avast! has been running on every computer/laptop I've had, it has never let me down. avast! in my opinion is better because of its detection and detection methods but I have to say, F-Secure would be better 'out of the box' because avast! does need a few settings e.g: PUP's and Heuristics etc...

Hope this helps, Have a good day :)

Regards,
AMR

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Only if F-Secure could have provided the Sandbox feature :(. Since I always use my browser in sandbox can't even imagine a world without it.

Not every antivirus vendors provide sandbox feature. Even Emsisoft don't even have sandbox feature as well, but i agree where you are going. However, not a lot of many average users know how to use sandbox properly, so i think that's explain why they ditch sandbox feature and just focus on protection modules and capabilities. Since F-Secure have really good zero day protection, so i think that will handle basic daily zero threats fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.