App Review F-SECURE Safe 2019

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
F-Secure is a Finnish company offering their antivirus named Safe.
For years, the editor used the Bitdefender engine, now AVIRA is used.
F-Secure promises smart threat protection and enhanced in-the-cloud detection.

On the Web, nothing to say, F-Secure protects very effectively.
On the pack, F-Secure detects several but why it does not remove everything ... A bug?
But black dots ruin:
Aside from its good performance, DeepGuard is far behind and did not protect the machine against our malware.
Then phishing protection is very bad ...

F-Secure is a recommended antivirus, but only for people who pay attention!

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
On the pack, F-Secure detects several but why it does not remove everything ... A bug?
But black dots ruin: Aside from its good performance, DeepGuard is far behind and did not protect the machine against our malware.
Then phishing protection is very bad ...

F-Secure is a recommended antivirus, but only for people who pay attention!
Nah can't really say if thats a genuine bug as out of all those samples I'm too confused and the test lacks a few tools, but I do know F-Secure is in general not good with removing PUPs. A genuine Bug confirmation is though easy made by simply report it to F-Secures Bug Bounty program.

That DeepGuard is far behind I beg to differ as by simply watch the Hub tests from @Lord Ami tells a very different story. Several samples ( not the whole pack ) from time to time is missed when compare VT ( VirusTotal ) and the one that rescue the tests many times, DeepGuard. The phishing protection is very bad? Personal I wouldn't exactly make that sort of statements after, 5 urls ( 2 dead ). One could very easy question that sort of testing methodology as phishing also occurs through emails with attachments and that was for sure not tested in this video.

Only for people who pay attention, nah I don't fully agree as SAFE is one of those set and forget kind of products and even if I recall correct mentioned here on MT somewhere as a senior/old peoples kind of products or was that just Emsisoft? Btw I like senior products. :p:D

I did enjoyed the video, thanks @stefanos but I really wished they could have done it slightly different. Personal I had to slow it down when the testing started and I wish they could skipped that automatic voice. Annoying as hell. For those that don't understand French, mort = death ( malicious url is dead. ). Passe = passed ( malicious url managed to bypass ). Bloque = block ( malicious url was blocked ).

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Only for people who pay attention, nah I don't fully agree as SAFE is one of those set and forget kind of products and even if I recall correct mentioned here on MT somewhere as a senior/old peoples kind of products or was that just Emsisoft? Btw I like senior products. :p:D

#me too, both on products for seniors and set and forget :p

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
#me too, both on products for seniors and set and forget :p
Welcome to the Club! :p
9eTAXfxt_o.jpg

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Thanks for the test.

Few comments: Many of the samples either did not run or were "greyware".
Also all testers should keep in mind (I too) that running locally extracted malware does not replicate real life scenario. In real life, the sample is "delivered" from somewhere. Either from web, email or USB (or any other source). This thing alone makes DeepGuard and any other behavior blocker work differently.

I'm more than sure that DeepGuard would block all 90% of the samples (including Malware Hub ones) when it would see the origin of the file.
E.g when file is extracted locally, it does not give DeepGuard enough data to work on.
As opposed to when file is downloaded from website such as kaskda.yt/rt.exe
Then there are lot of more signs of file being malicious/new. Unknown website reputation, downloads executable file etc etc. This file will surely get blocked by DeepGuard as "Rare" (sometimes DeepGuard.nz or .n (could mean New).

Just as an example: FS DeepGaurd is quite strong against Word/Excel documents with macros. I've read couple of blog posts from their labs and many of dig deep into how spam emails contain malicious documents etc.

All in all, these tests are somewhat interesting to watch. But it does not (nor does MH tests) have anything to do with real life scenario.

No product offers 100% protection and I'm not defending FS here - don't get me wrong.
Just my 2 cents.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Nah can't really say if thats a genuine bug as out of all those samples I'm too confused and the test lacks a few tools, but I do know F-Secure is in general not good with removing PUPs. A genuine Bug confirmation is though easy made by simply report it to F-Secures Bug Bounty program.

That DeepGuard is far behind I beg to differ as by simply watch the Hub tests from @Lord Ami tells a very different story. Several samples ( not the whole pack ) from time to time is missed when compare VT ( VirusTotal ) and the one that rescue the tests many times, DeepGuard. The phishing protection is very bad? Personal I wouldn't exactly make that sort of statements after, 5 urls ( 2 dead ). One could very easy question that sort of testing methodology as phishing also occurs through emails with attachments and that was for sure not tested in this video.

I did enjoyed the video, thanks @stefanos but I really wished they could have done it slightly different. Personal I had to slow it down when the testing started and I wish they could skipped that automatic voice. Annoying as hell. For those that don't understand French, mort = death ( malicious url is dead. ). Passe = passed ( malicious url managed to bypass ). Bloque = block ( malicious url was blocked ).
Thanks for your comment. I can not say my opinion on the video because I have not tested this version. This is why I have post it to those who try it. I have been doing a test with infected url with the older version F-Secure with perfect results.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for your comment. I can not say my opinion on the video because I have not tested this version. This is why I have post it to those who try it. I have been doing a test with infected url with the older version F-Secure with perfect results.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
IMO one have to try remember, read the disclaimers. Those exist for a purpose. Even the Hub here on MT has that but in this video, nothing :eek: not even with the generated voice. Common! :sleep: Not your fault @stefanos but if that community actually want people to understand there shares better, use English a bit as that's more common in this world either they like it or not. But perhaps they don't care anyway. There intro and other stuff was though brilliant.

Big thanks for the link to @Evjl's Rain s great thread as I missed out read that.

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
IMO one have to try remember, read the disclaimers. Those exist for a purpose. Even the Hub here on MT has that but in this video, nothing :eek: not even with the generated voice. Common! :sleep: Not your fault @stefanos but if that community actually want people to understand there shares better, use English a bit as that's more common in this world either they like it or not. But perhaps they don't care anyway. There intro and other stuff was though brilliant.

Big thanks for the link to @Evjl's Rain s great thread as I missed out read that.
This chanel have nice tests. I know we must upload video on English but the only good testers now on youtube is one Spanish and this guy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.