upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
wVs2MNHi.png

F-Secure SAFE is probably one of the best security options for Windows Phone as there is no other real active AV ( Anti Virus ) software available for the latest Windows Phone OS.

I also recommend that you scroll down and check the " Other Threads You Might Like " as those include still very active and fully working Giveaways for SAFE. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack, Ink and hamo

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
wVs2MNHi.png

F-Secure SAFE is probably one of the best security options for Windows Phone as there is no other real active AV ( Anti Virus ) software available for the latest Windows Phone OS.

I also recommend that you scroll down and check the " Other Threads You Might Like " as those include still very active and fully working Giveaways for SAFE. ;)

This is NOT an AV !!

There are no AVs for Windows Phone.

You will not see malware on a Windows Phone, due to the fact that the entire OS are completely locked down with UMCI.

Nothing runs on Windows Phone unless it is signed by Microsoft and delivered through the Microsoft Store.

Furthermore, every running app are isolated without the ability to ever gain write access to system areas.

-

This offering from F-Secure are a browser that does URL-checking, and has nothing to do with AVs

The native browser from Microsoft in Windows Phone already checks every single URL against the cloud before loading it.

F-Secure's offering are a marketing stunt that provides ZERO added protection to the Windows Phone platform.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This is NOT an AV !!

Don't missunderstand me. I'm 100% fully aware that it Do Not exist any genuine/normal AV for Windows Phone. The F-Secure SAFE app is a " Security Option! ".

You will not see malware on a Windows Phone, due to the fact that the entire OS are completely locked down with UMCI.

Come again? o_O I 100% disagree with that kind of " knowledge "! Have you even been up to date the last few years on what not only NSA but also socalled security groups like HackingTeam ( that was hacked themself :D ) been doing especially on Windows Phone OS?

The native browser from Microsoft in Windows Phone already checks every single URL against the cloud before loading it.

F-Secure's offering are a marketing stunt that provides ZERO added protection to the Windows Phone platform.
Proof thanks and not just your words! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jack

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
This is NOT an AV !!

Nothing runs on Windows Phone unless it is signed by Microsoft and delivered through the Microsoft Store.

Furthermore, every running app are isolated without the ability to ever gain write access to system areas.

-

This offering from F-Secure are a browser that does URL-checking, and has nothing to do with AVs

Correction Windows Phone can be attacked by malware and it can be hacked.
HOWEVER within the current release of the W-Phone OS there are no known attack vectors that can be used by a external source.
Yet if you hook up your phone to your desktop (Which in this example is infected) then you can ruin your phone beyond recovery as pointed out by the Microsoft dev's on their forums.
W-Phone will pretty much operate the same way as Linux does (principal wise) as Linux is rarely infected by malware yet Linux servers are notoriously known as the number one distribution method for Windows based malware.
W-phone might be one of the most secure mobile OS version yet it still has it draw backs from direct connections (Phone vs PC) and it suffers from a (Ironically enough) Linux flaw and that is that it can perfectly act as a carrier towards other phones and computers.
Hence why security on Tablets and Smart Phones (Might be debatable) but in my view needed, maybe not so much for your own protection but more because you do not want to infect your friends just because you are save ourself it does not mean your friends are.
Its pretty much a endless circle.

Cheers

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
While malware may not be a current issue, you cannot rule out the appalling state of the Windows Phone Store. It's filled with many fake apps, and paid apps pretending to be security vendors. Some examples include fake Avast, AVG, 360 Security, CM Security, but you can easily identify the scam by the review, ratings (unless faked) and Publisher information.

There's only one app on the WP Store, that mocks users. :p
Antivirus for WinPhones – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store
If it makes you feel better, here is an Antivirus for Windows phones. Windows for Phones is a closed system, where only approved apps can be installed, and everything runs in its own isolated sandbox. There is no need for antivirus software. This app is powered by the Placebo Effect Engine, which uses virtually no system resources. If you're still not convinced, install this app and feel better because now your Windows Phone has an antivirus installed. **This app is for entertainment and humor only**

Reactions: upnorth

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Don't missunderstand me. I'm 100% fully aware that it Do Not exist any genuine/normal AV for Windows Phone. The F-Secure SAFE app is a " Security Option! ".

Come again? o_O I 100% disagree with that kind of " knowledge "! Have you even been up to date the last few years on what not only NSA but also socalled security groups like HackingTeam ( that was hacked themself :D ) been doing especially on Windows Phone OS?

:)

Let me try again - those OS' are locked down with UMCI.
This means nothing runs unless signed by Microsoft.
Furthermore, each app are individually isolated.
They can never gain write access to system areas.

You posted a YouTube video - lets have a look at your claim.

All it has are a single picture that shows the words "Windows Phone" accompanied with the Windows Mobile 7 logo.
FinFisher are from before Windows Phone 8, 8.1 and 10, so completely irrelevant on any of those.

Next you mention Hacking Team.
All Hacking Team had was a blob of code that would require elevated privileges to work.
They didn't have any way to make it run on Windows Phone 8 or 8.1.
So again, irrelevant.

Next you mention fake apps.
A fake app are not an infection. They can never spread to the OS or to other apps.
They can only affect themselves, since the only active code they can change are that running inside its own individual sandbox.

Furthermore no app on Windows Phone 8, 8,1 or 10 are able to access anything not declared in their manifest.

Should you come across a extremely rare app that doesn't do as its title suggested - then choose delete and its sandbox are removed and every trace of said app are gone.

Again, an app that shows a picture, an ad or plays a song instead of whatever its title claimed, are not an infection.

You ask for official information.
Not a problem. Here are Microsoft's white paper on Windows Phone 8.1 (PDF) :
Download Windows Phone 8.1 Security Overview from Official Microsoft Download Center

The only real issue Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 has ever faced, was the POC two years ago that could give access to a few cookies.
Again, NO infection. No working malware.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Do you even understand how WP8, WP8.1 and WP10 works ??

You posted a YouTube video - lets have a look at your claim.

All it has are a single picture that shows the words "Windows Phone" accompanied with the Windows Mobile 7 logo.
FinFisher are from before Windows Phone 8, 8.1 and 10, so completely irrelevant on any of those.

Next you mention Hacking Team.
All Hacking Team had was a blob of code that would require elevated privileges to work.
They didn't have any way to make it run on Windows Phone 8 or 8.1.
So again, irrelevant.

Then you mention NSA.
Please - stop yourself. When anyone starts mentioning three letter agencies as some kind of magical evidence, then all that means are that you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Next you mention fake apps.
A fake app are not an infection. They can never spread to the OS or to other apps.
They can only affect themselves, since the only active code they can change are that running inside its own individual sandbox.

Furthermore no app on Windows Phone 8, 8,1 or 10 are able to access anything not declared in their manifest.

Should you come across a extremely rare app that doesn't do as its title suggested - then choose delete and its sandbox are removed and every trace of said app are gone.

Again, an app that shows a picture, an ad or plays a song instead of whatever its title claimed, are not an infection.

You ask for official information.
Not a problem. Here are Microsoft's white paper on Windows Phone 8.1 (PDF) :
Download Windows Phone 8.1 Security Overview from Official Microsoft Download Center

The only real issue Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 has ever faced, was the POC two years ago that could give access to a few cookies.
Again, NO infection. No working malware.

Oh, and one last thing - the "let me Google it for you" remarks and links are really not appropriate in a grownup conversation.

Signed by MS? Well yes at the same time as @Huracan said the Windows APP store is loaded with fake apps that have the ability to download "updates" that might be infected or malicious and since the APP is loaded into the OS (After your approval, MS its digital sign) it pretty much infects your phone kinda like user based malware & exploit (User required action) and yes the sandbox has not been cracked yet so a real infection will probably not happen anytime soon, yet again exploits and data-mining will become a major thing.
Its true that Windows phone is pretty secure as most "ethical hackers" have pointed out.
From the outside the phone is a fortress yet from the inside (ones installed and approved) it not so "safe". Because while known malware at this point in time does not exist for the W-Phone you still will have problems with exploits and data mining and specially the last one is something to worry about since people have SO MUCH private info on their phone.
This is to hackers and bad people a real gold mine.

If i remember correctly Nico Foley (Hacking pwn2 event Tokio was that 2014?) managed to extract the cookie database from a Lumia phone yet the sandbox prevented him from getting complete control of the system, yet while this is GREAT he still did have partial control.
So malware is not a real issue other then the ways i mentioned but fake apps, exploits, datamining and other malicious things are and will become a problem.

That said let me get back to what i said earlier W-Phone has a killer system to avoid malware (sandbox), yet the OS can be spied upon very easy as APPS do gather info (As pointed out by all major AV vendors and MS itself)
Plugging your W-Phone to a home computer which might be infected can cause your phone to be a carrier trough its internal storage.
And during updates using your computer it could be corrupted as pointed out by MS staff.
Just saying ...other then that you are right.

Personal thing: What you said about NSA (Or any governmental intelligence agency) with Windows Phone they do not need to access your phone (Even trough they can at any point in time thanks to the build in MS features which is required by US law)
They request your profile data stored at the MS servers.

In time Windows Phone will be cracked & hacked and infected just like any other device this is just the reality in this time and age.
Fact is while i hate Windows with a passion ...what they have done to the Windows phone is pretty darn good and is miles ahead of android imo.

Yet on a side note:
Do NOT be rude please there is no point to it ok? We are all here to learn, educate and enjoy so really any "rude" words or words that would suggest that a person is dumb or not so smart as you have no place on this forum, keep in mind we all started as noobs someday.

Kind Regards,
Nico

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
Signed by MS? Well yes at the same time as @Huracan said the Windows APP store is loaded with fake apps that have the ability to download "updates" that might be infected or malicious and since the APP is loaded into the OS (After your approval, MS its digital sign) it pretty much infects your phone kinda like user based malware & exploit (User required action) and yes the sandbox has not been cracked yet so a real infection will probably not happen anytime soon, yet again exploits and data-mining will become a major thing.
Its true that Windows phone is pretty secure as most "ethical hackers" have pointed out.
From the outside the phone is a fortress yet from the inside (ones installed and approved) it not so "safe". Because while known malware at this point in time does not exist for the W-Phone you still will have problems with exploits and data mining and specially the last one is something to worry about since people have SO MUCH private info on their phone.
This is to hackers and bad people a real gold mine.

If i remember correctly Nico Foley (Hacking pwn2 event Tokio was that 2014?) managed to extract the cookie database from a Lumia phone yet the sandbox prevented him from getting complete control of the system, yet while this is GREAT he still did have partial control.
So malware is not a real issue other then the ways i mentioned but fake apps, exploits, datamining and other malicious things are and will become a problem.

That said let me get back to what i said earlier W-Phone has a killer system to avoid malware (sandbox), yet the OS can be spied upon very easy as APPS do gather info (As pointed out by all major AV vendors and MS itself)
Plugging your W-Phone to a home computer which might be infected can cause your phone to be a carrier trough its internal storage.
And during updates using your computer it could be corrupted as pointed out by MS staff.
Just saying ...other then that you are right.

Personal thing: What you said about NSA (Or any governmental intelligence agency) with Windows Phone they do not need to access your phone (Even trough they can at any point in time thanks to the build in MS features which is required by US law)
They request your profile data stored at the MS servers.

In time Windows Phone will be cracked & hacked and infected just like any other device this is just the reality in this time and age.
Fact is while i hate Windows with a passion ...what they have done to the Windows phone is pretty darn good and is miles ahead of android imo.

Yet on a side note:
Do NOT be rude please there is no point to it ok? We are all here to learn, educate and enjoy so really any "rude" words or words that would suggest that a person is dumb or not so smart as you have no place on this forum, keep in mind we all started as noobs someday.

Kind Regards,
Nico

@Nico@FMA :

On many points we agree.

You do miss one thing.
Vetted and signed for the store are not the same as being signed for system.
Two very different things.

Apps can't infect system, even if a trusted firm turns to the dark side.
All it can do is download a new edition inside its own sandbox.
This update still has to be vetted, signed and slip through though.

Since no app will ever gain access to system or other apps, then no real infections.

You can have a fake app that displays a UI with a couple of buttons claiming to do something, and when you hit them then they don't do anything.

To catch such you would need visual control on every app on top of the code vetting.

But this is hardly malicious or infective.

You are right that some data mining are possible.
Only with user consent though.

But infecting system, no.

Every single capable person under the sun has had a go at that sandbox without breaking it.

There are no reason to fear malware on Windows Phone.

As for three letter agencies, we agree and that was why I react strongly whenever people try and shove it in as evidence.
At that level, you just don't care about devices.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Might be interesting...but probably not for some people in this thread and I don't care less as again it ain't me saying this, it's me linking it : The latest Windows Phone 8.1 has been hacked

If anybody don't like it...call the author of that article dumb, stupid or noob instead of me thanks! :)

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@Nico@FMA :

On many points we agree.

You do miss one thing.
Vetted and signed for the store are not the same as being signed for system.
Two very different things.

Apps can't infect system, even if a trusted firm turns to the dark side.
All it can do is download a new edition inside its own sandbox.
This update still has to be vetted, signed and slip through though.

Since no app will ever gain access to system or other apps, then no real infections.

You can have a fake app that displays a UI with a couple of buttons claiming to do something, and when you hit them then they don't do anything.

To catch such you would need visual control on every app on top of the code vetting.

But this is hardly malicious or infective.

You are right that some data mining are possible.
Only with user consent though.

But infecting system, no.

Every single capable person under the sun has had a go at that sandbox without breaking it.

There are no reason to fear malware on Windows Phone.

As for three letter agencies, we agree and that was why I react strongly whenever people try and shove it in as evidence.
At that level, you just don't care about devices.

No i have not missed the fact that apps are being vetted as with signing i mean digitally signed and checked.
But here lies the problem the actual code is only being vetted due to a automated process which is as you understand far from flawless.
3 out of 10 apps on MS store would never made the cut if their code is manually checked. Obviously with the amount of apps being released its virtually impossible for MS to go trough all of them one by one. Now as you said Malware is a factor that is not present on the Windows phone YET. It will in time i am sure.
But Viruses, Trojans and other harmful programs like we see them on the PC is just one thing.
"malware" also means data-mining, exploits, rogue applications and so on.
Not trying to give you a hard time but another thing is exploits and vulnerabilities HP zero day initiative did discover 4 critical flaws in 2014 that would allow the system to be broken, it took MS more then 120 days to even respond and ones HP did release the flaws so everyone knew about it, MS was lighting fast to comment that no attacks have been detected and that they monitor the situation.

One other BIG issue is that the MS certification system is not flawless either in 2014 they released a emergency advisory because a whole bunch of the trusted certificates where bogus and opened up windows phone for man in the middle attacks, phising and other crap.
Again this ain't malware in the traditional sense (Aka PC virus) but data collecting, profile mining, social engineering and so on pose a even bigger danger then normal viri anyway.
Do not get me wrong i agree with you on most points, but being in the industry has learned me that what MS says, publishes, announces, releases is one thing, the actual facts is another and then you got factor X which is time.
Time has always been unforgiving when it comes to anything MS has said and done in the past.
And to give a example:
Another issue was the malware written by this guy (Shantanu Gawde) in India who wrote the first malware for Windows Phone in 2012, and if i am not mistaken it was Sophos Paul Roberts who confirmed and tested it. So much for no malware on Windows Phone.
Look currently there only a handful of known malware that does infect a windows phone, but most of them are directly engineered and developed for a specific target or purpose without being released to harass the public, as these pieces of code are usually governmental sponsored. This is nothing new this is something that we will see more and more. And here is exactly the problem, right now Windows Phone is 99.5% malware free, because there is just no malware targeting the damn thing lol. But hackers and malware writers are shifting their focus to Windows Phone devices as its market share increases, and if a "sponsored" hacking team can make a working tool to gain access over you phone, then it only takes time before some kid, group or lone guy with fantastic coding skills does it and releases it in the wild.

Right now Windows Phone has only a tiny part of the Mobile Phone market and it suffers from a windows store with a serious lack of apps compared to the millions of Android apps so to a user W-phone might not be the way to go or be as attractive, another thing is that MS its signing and vetting is selective.... Very selective.... They force companies to spend a HUGE amount of cash for a certificate, and they are forced to affiliate their apps with MS.
So the very security coming from vetting and certificate signing is more a money thing then a security feature. Another thing is you HAVE to sign the apps with a MS issued cert... Where other certification brands are being rejected while they in some cases are by far superior to anything MS has to offer "cert" wise.

What i just said are just bits and pieces of a much bigger thing so forgive me if i leave out some details, but ask anyone within the security industry Windows phone is not as secure as it seems.

Microsoft’s Windows Phone has been around since 2010, but the device started gaining steam with the release of Windows 8 in the summer of 2012. Though the devices still pale in market share to would-be rivals Android and Google, they are growing in popularity.
They are also developing a reputation as the most secure mobile phone on the market. For sure, Windows Phones experience fewer problems with malware because attackers spend the bulk of their time targeting the most widely used platforms.
It’s hardly a coincidence that Google’s Android is the most widely sold mobile platform, yet continues to be plagued by malware concerns.
Windows Phones continue to grow in popularity, which means users should take precautions to make their devices as secure as possible. But mobile-device security isn't just about stopping malware.
It’s just as much about privacy features, restricting the permissions of over sharing apps and encrypting personal data.

Kind Regards Nico

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Might be interesting...but probably not for some people in this thread and I don't care less as again it ain't me saying this, it's me linking it : The latest Windows Phone 8.1 has been hacked

If anybody don't like it...call the author of that article dumb, stupid or noob instead of me thanks! :)

Yeah i knew about some of the events happened in the past as this ain't the first time. However this seems to be the first time it gets confirmed.

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015

Why did you not take the time to read the White Paper I provided a link to ??

Furthermore, Microsoft are famous for their documentation. If there are still parts of the subject that you are uncertain of, then just look it up.

It's clear that you posted the link above, just because that title contained the word "hacked"

The issue you linked to are NOT affecting ANY part of system areas.

The issue are NOT affecting any other apps.

It's an issue affecting OEM apps only if transferred to SD and being in developer mode.

The loaded app would still be sandboxed and in fact further restricted since it resided on SD.

To take advantage of the issue, you would need to register as developer, set up phone in developer mode, register phone to your developer account, install the Windows Phone developer SDK on PC, connect phone to PC, develop an app, find an OEM app that matched the needed criteria, transfer it to SD, load your own app, exchange specific parts of your app with the OEM app now on SD - ALL of that just so you could run your own app in the OEM apps place, still sandboxed.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Everybody has an opinion however there is no need to keep beating a dead horse.We especially don't need the less than friendly comments attached to each opinion either.I think what was originally a post about the app F-Secure SAFE for Windows phone has now gone off the rails.
It is fine to post your opinions but when we start picking apart bits and pieces of a post and continually arguing it whether right or wrong leaves no option but to close the thread

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
F-Secure Safe for Windows Phone should not possess any issue, as they willingly to have a flagship as protection even though the risk attacks are so yet minimal like same to Linux. However no matter how harden the implementation occur, we should know that in order to being active on development then risks and attacks should be circulated always so hence money will be spend for maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.