In-depth Comparison

BigWrench

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Just as the title implies.....Looking for bug free, light, and strong AV. (I have been using F secure on win 10 only, because it lacks a firewall)
I'm quite happy with both, that is my conundrum. I'm torn here peeps.
Your thoughts? PLEASE, just pick from the two, and give me your input.
THANKS

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I've decided to run F Secure on Windows 10 machines (because F Secure lacks a firewall, and Windows 10 firewall is fantastic)
And run Norton on Windows 7 machines (Windows 7 firewall not up to snuff vs Windows 10 firewall IMHO)

I appreciate ALL the feedback. Was quite shocked by the poll results, but I have confidence in the member's opinions! (y)

THANKS AGAIN!!! ;)
As long as the firewall is set to default deny it's more than sufficient.
If not try SEP as a smart IPS firewall(network and host mitigation config).

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
As long as the firewall is set to default deny it's more than sufficient.
If not try SEP as a smart IPS firewall(network and host mitigation config).
Yeah I think if you don’t get a smart IPS firewall, the standard Windows one is perfectly fine. Smart IPS firewalls can do a lot of good as a last line of defense when malware starts performing suspicious network activities but keep in mind that is also something you can offload to your network gateway device if you don’t want every one of your local machines to pay the overhead for an IPS.

FWIW even for something like Snort, it takes a 2-3GHz Core i7 to push 1Gbit/s with filtering so an IPS is where a firewall stops being light. That’s the trade off for having network filtering like that.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I think if you don’t get a smart IPS firewall, the standard Windows one is perfectly fine. Smart IPS firewalls can do a lot of good as a last line of defense when malware starts performing suspicious network activities but keep in mind that is also something you can offload to your network gateway device if you don’t want every one of your local machines to pay the overhead for an IPS.

FWIW even for something like Snort, it takes a 2-3GHz Core i7 to push 1Gbit/s with filtering so an IPS is where a firewall stops being light. That’s the trade off for having network filtering like that.
suricata has better performance.
But some people can't manage a gateway IPS system.
And some users use a laptop in public places.

Reactions: bayasdev

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
you probably was not around that much cause anyone who is a bit paranoid about privacy knows that he can only trust in F-Secure G DATA and Emsisoft in terms of Privacy. F-Secure is not only a cybersecurity company but it's also a privacy company(F-Secure - Wikipedia)
there were even a tweet by Snowden that was somewhat like "the only company that you can trust in not having ties with governments is F-Secure"
tyvm for your answer! I really didn't know that. F-secure earned a few points with me now. I'll take a closer look to all F-secure tests! Maybe i'll give it a chance in the future!

BTW, that after EMSISOFT and F-SECURE, i'll would recomend bitdefender for privacy oriented users. The fact it's a Romanian company with a clear Privacy Policy is very good. Romania implemented GDPR, and it out of 14 eyes countries (and is not from Russia).

i had a tragedy with F-Secure recently i used to be their die-hard fanboy since 2018 back then they had partners distributor in Iran, this year they just removed Iran from their country list and when i've contacted them and complaint about that they just told me(SECURE: Complete - Like a Western! Security Config 2020) that if they did not stop selling products to Iran well they would get hard sanctions on their own company, so they actually chose the US market over customer protection, that just a failure in a company who keep telling people that can be trusted against governments. BUT you're not from Iran. F-Secure would be still one of the bests in what it's doing.

Yep, i followed your thread. That was a shame =/

I tried to break down one of the recent false positive tests. I don’t think it’s as concerning as the labs make it out to be. False positives are a serious issue but the testing methodology leaves a lot to be desired (no offense to anyone who still installs Microsoft Encarta from their 12 year old DVDs....)

I'll take a deeper look. Ty for the insight!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.