Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

Having tested all 3, I can help you.

F-Secure:

Very good protection (due to Avira's engines), very efficient proactive protection, very light and autonomous (it doesn't ask anything to the user)

Kaspersky:

An excellent protection too, but can be greedy, especially in games

Windows Defender:

Excellent protection as well, but has some problems with malware removal (on Firefox).

Personally, I would say F-Secure 😉
Regarding the firewall, F-Secure and Defender use the Windows firewall by adding some rules.
The Windows firewall has evolved a lot, and you can find more tips on the forum :)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Good morning community! My head pains because of the above question. You see i got a key of F-Secure recently in the giveaway. I have kaspersky and i wonder who is the winner. Thank you all

I think you can't go wrong with either one of them. As you have bought a Kaspersky license you can use it till it runs out and after that you can go for the giveaway license of F-Secure. The only downside of Kaspersky compared to F-Secure is it's performance on some systems. So if you do gaming then F-Secure would probably be the better deal.

Haha yeah. Same situation!

Is Windows Firewall good enough with F-secure too? That's my main question?

Microsoft Defender Firewall is good enough, don't worry. I would recommend enabling the "public profile" of your firewall for enhanced protection.

Screenshot 2022-02-19 143331.png

You can also try the free and open-source tool by @Andy Ful to harden the Microsoft Defender Firewall further by blocking often abused LOLBins:

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
Hello :)

Having tested all 3, I can help you.

F-Secure:

Very good protection (due to Avira's engines), very efficient proactive protection, very light and autonomous (it doesn't ask anything to the user)

Kaspersky:

An excellent protection too, but can be greedy, especially in games

Windows Defender:

Excellent protection as well, but has some problems with malware removal (on Firefox).

Personally, I would say F-Secure 😉
Regarding the firewall, F-Secure and Defender use the Windows firewall by adding some rules.
The Windows firewall has evolved a lot, and you can find more tips on the forum :)
Test the new Kaspersky 21.5 is very very light and faster than 21.3 . Greetings

icarus

Level 2
Oct 29, 2021
Good morning community! My head pains because of the above question. You see i got a key of F-Secure recently in the giveaway. I have kaspersky and i wonder who is the winner. Thank you all
for total section kaspersky
but if you want to install 100 another tools to complete f-secure as real internet security u go with f-secure(detection is good but its like Puzzle you need another tools for complete its lack of component)choose wise im not fan of kaspersky but its complete and do not need any other tool to make it secure or real internet security;)

icarus

Level 2
Oct 29, 2021
Haha yeah. Same situation!

Is Windows Firewall good enough with F-secure too? That's my main question?
its come up only buy false advertizing firewall still need to be #1 defense in any security software dont fall for those things like installing another tools to controlling firewall of windows use any top brand with own firewall like norton or bitdefender or anyother complete protection

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You can't go wrong with any of those three, F Secure, Kaspersky and Microsoft are my personal favorites.

My reasons to prefer F-Secure are:
  • Impressive results in the testing done by @Shadowra and in the HUB tests by @upnorth
  • Impressive results for banking protection done by AVLab.pl: AVLab.pl - Test of security solutions in blocking attacks on Internet banking
  • Noticeably light on the system
  • Malicious downloads are completely blocked and not partially downloaded like with the SmartScreen when using Microsoft Edge.
  • It doesn't use a root certificate like Kaspersky does.
  • There are no options that I won't use like Kaspersky passwordmanager and VPN

superleeds27

Level 6
Verified
Apr 5, 2017
You can't go wrong with any of those three, F Secure, Kaspersky and Microsoft are my personal favorites.

My reasons to prefer F-Secure are:
  • Impressive results in the testing done by @Shadowra and in the HUB tests by @upnorth
  • Impressive results for banking protection done by AVLab.pl: AVLab.pl - Test of security solutions in blocking attacks on Internet banking
  • Noticeably light on the system
  • Malicious downloads are completely blocked and not partially downloaded like with the SmartScreen when using Microsoft Edge.
  • It doesn't use a root certificate like Kaspersky does.
  • There are no options that I won't use like Kaspersky passwordmanager and VPN

What's the advantage of it not using a root certificate like Kaspersky does?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks

Found a thread on here about Kaspersky and HTTPS scanning. Recommended to keep it on or Kaspersky basically becomes ineffective at blocking!
That may be true, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth enabling. There are other ways of blocking malicious domains (e.g. DNS blocking, extensions)
I personally would always recommend setting up a DNS provider with malware blocklists like NextDNS or Quad9. They basically have no downsides.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.