Facebook to Ban 'Deepfakes'

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Facebook has announced it will remove videos modified by artificial intelligence, known as deepfakes, from its platform.

Deepfakes are computer-generated clips that are designed to look real. The social media company said in a blog that these videos distort reality and present a "significant challenge" for the technology industry. While deepfakes are still relatively uncommon on the internet, they are becoming more prevalent. AI software creates deepfakes of people - often politicians or celebrities - by merging, replacing, or superimposing content on to a video in a way that makes it look real. Facebook said it would remove videos if it realised they had been edited in ways that weren't obvious to an average person, or if they misled a viewer into thinking that a person in a video said words they did not actually say.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The problem with the whole situation is detecting them. Easy to say you’ll ban them “if” you find them. But it doesn’t matter, people pass around false claims in memes and tout them as gospel already. There’s nothing new here, the crowds can be manipulated.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The problem with the whole situation is detecting them. Easy to say you’ll ban them “if” you find them. But it doesn’t matter, people pass around false claims in memes and tout them as gospel already. There’s nothing new here, the crowds can be manipulated.
There is actually something very new here. Facebook is working against DeepFake Videos. Of course they wont get rid of them all but, that shouldn't stop them or any other company, vendor or developer from working on it. Deepfake videos is sadly a growing issue and ignore it will be counterproductive.
I understand Facebook as it's also about the brand as a brand for companies is everything and Facebooks brand has suffered more then most especially 2019. They simply are forced to try do something positive and if they persist develop their tools/code it will improve and if there is a company that know how to code, it's Facebook either one like them or not.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
They need to improve the bot detection systems and rid scammers that target people..... I can’t count how many times I have reported a profile for the systems to come back and say the profile does not violate the community standards. When the account is obviously fake....

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Two words: Cambridge Analytica.

If Facebook hadn't been outed back then, I majorly doubt this would be so righteously addressed now. Hard scrutiny does wonders for "transparency." A while ago, Zuckerberg and his wife were interviewed. I watched it and felt like I was developing numerous dental cavities from all the gooey sweetness and earnestness. Here it is, if anyone is interested. It's tuff not to be cynical when it comes to Facebook nowadays. But in isolation, removal and vigilance for deep fakes is what absolutely must be done, plain and simple. Very dangerous: people can be like lemmings in some respects.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
in isolation, removal and vigilance for deep fakes is what absolutely must be done, plain and simple.
I agree as even Google and Microsoft put time, energy and money into combat Deepfake and Deepfake videos it's obvious that also a gigant like Facebook would sooner or later jump on the same train. Personal though I'm not too fond of Facebook for many reasons but this specific work, I'll give them credit and respect for.
people can be like lemmings in some respects.
People can be plain simple idiots and think that it's no problem what ever they say or do. Especially online. Hopefully also they eventually one day grow up and start act like genuine adults instead of small attention seeking children.

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
facebook and instagram are getting worse and worse, lots profiles fakes, lots of fake ads pointing to sites that steal data ... it should have been closed long time ago ... thanks to the shareholders holding the site, facebook is full of processes like Cambridge Analytics for example.

From last night to now late look how many sponsored fake ads I reported >>

phishing.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.