Facebook tracks non-users via Android Apps

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
New thunderclouds on Facebook, the social network giant is accused of tracking non-users via Android apps.

According to a report presented by Privacy International yesterday at 35C3 hacking conference held in Germany, the list of Android apps that send tracking and personal information back to Facebook includes dozens of apps including Kayak, Yelp, and Shazam,

“Facebook routinely tracks users, non-users and logged-out users outside its platform through Facebook Business Tools. App developers share data with Facebook through the Facebook Software Development Kit (SDK), a set of software development tools that help developers build apps for a specific operating system.” reads the report published by Privacy International.

“Using the free and open source software tool called “mitmproxy“, an interactive HTTPS proxy, Privacy International has analyzed the data that a number of Android apps transmit to Facebook through the Facebook SDK.”

Experts at Privacy International analyzed 34 Android apps and found that at least 61 percent of them transfer data to Facebook the moment a user opens the app. Data are sent to Facebook whether people have a Facebook account or not, or whether they are logged into Facebook or not.

Some of the apps routinely send the social network data that is very detailed and sometimes sensitiv

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
This is what I have been saying to some people here. As an Android user myself I would never switch from an iPhone to an Android phone. If you already have an iPhone, stick with it.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
This is what I have been saying to some people here. As an Android user myself I would never switch from an iPhone to an Android phone. If you already have an iPhone, stick with it.

Till it gets revealed that iOS apps do the same...

What bothers me the most in all this, where is the disclosure? What gives Fecesbook the right to track us without any disclosure or notice they are doing it? I hope ppl sue their ass hard, I'm talking billions. And same to Google for allowing it. Coz these corporations only know numbers. 9 digits minimum, otherwise it's just a fart against a hurricane...

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
iexplore_2019-01-02_21-31-51.png(y)(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
The million dollar question how to block this on a non-rooted android phone?

Rooting is not required, using Blokada, you use a defined set of filter lists, some of them, included some known facebook domains already, even if they are not for social, e.g. graph.facebook.com

In the case of AdGuard, rooting is used in the tentative to not display ads on YouTube app, or set the process priority to the lowest possible to stay always on.

The difference, when comparing AdGuard to Blokada, at least in my experience, is AdGuard capability of displaying the logs, and cosmetic filtering, means CSS stuff on mobile, you can do with AdGuard, both of them rely on the VPN filtering;

What I usually do, from time to time I install Blokada, and take a look at their lists, then, I add them to my PiHole; the main problem is the huge number of domains contained inside the blacklists, that then i need to whitelist

For example: AdGuard, will be able to do this --> astronomy.com##.facebookFeed

where, Blokada not

both of them, will be able to block the domain graph.facebook.com if is inside the rules.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Rooting is not required, using Blokada, you use a defined set of filter lists, some of them, included some known facebook domains already, even if they are not for social, e.g. graph.facebook.com

In the case of AdGuard, rooting is used in the tentative to not display ads on YouTube app, or set the process priority to the lowest possible to stay always on.

The difference, when comparing AdGuard to Blokada, at least in my experience, is AdGuard capability of displaying the logs, and cosmetic filtering, means CSS stuff on mobile, you can do with AdGuard, both of them rely on the VPN filtering;

What I usually do, from time to time I install Blokada, and take a look at their lists, then, I add them to my PiHole; the main problem is the huge number of domains contained inside the blacklists, that then i need to whitelist

For example: AdGuard, will be able to do this --> astronomy.com##.facebookFeed

where, Blokada not

both of them, will be able to block the domain graph.facebook.com if is inside the rules.
Thank you for your comment (y)
Did a quick search and Blokada's recommended filter list (Energized Blu) doesn't seem to block graph.facebook.com.
So i switched to Goodbye Ads by Jerryn70 in Blokada that blocks graph.facebook.com.
Together with AdGuard DNS I seem to be protected against this.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.