Fake BlackBerry BBM apps *still* in Google Play Store (Updated) Official Released

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
It's now one month since BlackBerry's ill-fated non-release of its BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) app for Android and iOS.

The beleaguered mobile phone maker was all set to launch BBM on the Android and iOS platforms last month, before pulling the product at the last minute.

In fact, the app did reach Android users, but only briefly, and not with BlackBerry's blessing.

Ironically, even though BlackBerry enthused about "1.1 million active users in the first eight hours, without even launching the official Android app," it was also forced to admit the the unofficial release "caused issues" - issues so severe that the product still wasn't out when this article was written.

(BBM for Android and iOS finally appeared officially the same day this article went live.)
But the app, or numerous shabby imitations of it, are still popping up in the Play Store a full month later.

It's not surprising to see cybercrooks trying to take advantage of heavily-anticipated product releases, but in this case the official product remains very publicly unreleased, which you might hope would make Google quadruply suspicious of imposter apps.
bbm-faux-480.png

The situation is calmer now than when I checked last week, when there were dozens of apps looking just like #4 above.

But even a few bogus apps are too many, given that all of the ones I've looked at with green logos seem to have identical imagery and the same drivellous description, starting like this
Blackberry Messenger Full Edition!!!

For All Android Devices and also it is FREE!!!

And this descirption is 100% BELEIVABLE, IS'NT IT?!?!?!?

(BBM for Android and iOS finally appeared officially the same day this article went live.)

READ MORE

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
RE: Fake BlackBerry BBM apps *still* in Google Play Store, one month after failed officia

My purpose of posting this old article is only to aware users about these fake apps,BBM is now official arrived to android.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are the fake Apps a threat to BBM users?

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
I don't read till any abuses by these apps but some past fake apps are working like adware(ad display,promotion....).
But my main concern is toward google play store policies if they know it there is no official BBM app are comes from BB untill 2-3 days before on play store then they should remove these apps before.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.