Fake MSI Afterburner website promoted via Google ads leads to Malware infostealer

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Really disappointed with Kaspersky.
I shared a phishing site discovered by APIVoid aka @NoVirusThanks to ESET, Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

ESET didn't block initially, BD said the site is clean, Kaspersky gave a weird reply saying,

Wait what? Legal decision for blocking a fake store?
I told it to one of my friends who expertise in finding and reporting these type of phishing sites. He immediately said,

I fully agree with him.
Anyway, in mere 5 minutes later, he showed me some info which very clearly indicates that the website is a scam. Too many obvious red flags. After that he sent his findings to Bitdefender's support mail which he always does, and I told him to report to ESET also, and he did.
The next morning, I saw ESET started detecting it as phishing and today Bitdefender replied to him and has started blocking it as well.
And there we have Kaspersky, saying for the second time to me that,

Absolutely ridiculous 😑

Reported to G Data and now blocked after less than 24 hours. (y)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Nice. Same for Norton. So two more vendors who don't have the ridiculous policy of Kaspersky of not blocking scam shopping sites. Some other vendors will block it too I guess if reported.
Und now I just received this mail:

Screenshot 2022-11-28 175234.jpg

And yeah, the website is unblocked again... :unsure:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Und now I just received this mail:

View attachment 271011

And yeah, the website is unblocked again... :unsure:
Maybe similar to initial analysis made by ESET & BD, they just scanned the content of the site. I'll send them context and clues to identify red the flags which indicates that the site is a scam. Maybe then they'll rethink their decision.
Edit: Submitted just now.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.