Fake Security scan in Google Chrome

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I stumbled across this today, avast blocked the download when Chrome prompted to Accept/Deny.

ik0WlM.png

It looks pretty convincing to me.

Code:
Security Alert

Scanning of your system is currently on, please wait until the end.
Your system affected by numerous virus attacks, Google Chrome recommends you to install proper software to protect your computer

Recomended: Click "Start Protection" button to erase all threats.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Oh lucky glad avast blocked it.

Link

Well one member post also about the fake google chrome page.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I just re-visited that link in Incognito Mode, the page is blocked by Google Safe Browsing for containing malware.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Avast is pretty sweet with its web shield and blocking potentially malicious websites but yesterday for some reason it was blocking almost every page you would try to surf, did it to 3 people for a very short period of time, but rather have a little unexplainable issue here and there than it not block at all.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There was a FP issue in one of the updates, see:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Avast-False-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
stormgtr said:
There was a FP issue in one of the updates, see:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Avast-False-positive-issue-with-virus-defs-110411-1

Thanks buddy, explains some things and now I see why I was having some issues and got called asking why things were getting blocked, I assumed since no changes on my part had been made it was an update but didn't really know, just couldn't have been any other reason to suddenly block what worked fine only moments before, thanks for making me aware of the reason.:cool:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I just often surfing in the laptop via wifi and not expected that avast will have an issue.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Pretty original, I give them that.
I know of rogues that change their user interface depending on what OS you are using, but never this.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I was looking at the image above..and I was thinking : "How can people fall for this?:shok: " and then I've remembered that people also fall for :
"OMG! Girls jump from moving train" scams and other cheap tricks... so I bet that this "fake scanner" will manage to trick some people....
but the one for IE was much more believable since it was replicating the explorer window.
fake-web-scanner.jpg

Nevertheless ....if malware writters are targeting Chrome users that can only mean : Chrome is now in the big league. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also even firefox block page can be replicate by malware writers as same on the original one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.