Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NetworkWold said:
Cybercriminals are distributing a mobile component of the Zeus banking Trojan as an Android security application, Kaspersky experts said

A recently discovered fake Android security application is most likely a mobile component of the Zeus banking malware, security researchers from antivirus firm Kaspersky Lab said on Monday.

Called Android Security Suite Premium, the rogue app is capable of stealing SMS messages and uploading them to a remote server. When launched, the app displays a shield image that has long been associated with Windows fake antivirus programs, also known as FakeAV or scareware.

208193605.png
208193606.png

"How could I ever forget such an identifiable logo," Nathan Collier, a threat research analyst at antivirus firm Webroot, said in a blog post about the new threat on Friday. "Now that the developers of the popular FakeAV malware have entered into the mobile world expect to to see a lot more variations of this."

However, this might not be a mobile scareware app, but a new variant of ZitMo -- Zeus in the Mobile, said Kaspersky Lab senior malware analyst Denis Maslennikov.

ZitMo apps are malicious mobile applications that are used by cybercriminals in conjunction with the Zeus computer Trojan in order to steal money from online banking accounts. They appeared back in 2010 as a response to banks implementing mobile-based security measures

Read more: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/061912-fake-android-antivirus-app-likely-260331.html

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
When will rogue makers learn. And don't we face the risk on Windows enough. Mac is just starting to get fake AVs like Mac Defender.

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Haven't come across this. Would nice to see what Android AV picked it up, but I bet that Avast and well Kaspersky have found it. :rolleyes:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
Do they exist on Google Play (App Store for Android)?

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
Do they exist on Google Play (App Store for Android)?

As far as I know that is where most of the malware comes from.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Jan 8, 2011
So Google's Bouncer security is pretty much useless. I like Apple's closed way their App Store works at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.