Assigned False Positive or not?

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
I have ZAM installed for on demand scans and it's within it's 15 days trial license.
It keeps detecting Amazon Spain as an infection in my search bar. I have added it there with "Add to search bar" on Firefox.

Is there a real problem or is it a false positive?
Thanks!

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Can you link the search engine add-on? The only Amazon search engine add-on that I can find on Firefox is "Amazon.com Quick Search with Suggestions" made by "Justin". This is not an official Amazon search.

Alternatively, there is an official extension called Amazon Assistant for Firefox that does not get flagged by ZAM.

Reactions: Wave
W

Wave

If the search engine add-on you are using is not genuinely from Amazon then I don't recommend you should use it, I recommend sticking to anything that is genuinely from them themselves because that way you'll stay safer from any unexpected surprises/shady practices. You can never be too careful these days.

Reactions: Fritz

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
If the search engine add-on you are using is not genuinely from Amazon then I don't recommend you should use it, I recommend sticking to anything that is genuinely from them themselves because that way you'll stay safer from any unexpected surprises/shady practices. You can never be too careful these days.
The addon allows me to add any search engine and I have added Amazon Spain there along with many others directly from the original websites. Have a look, there are plenty of good reviews.

W

Wave

The addon allows me to add any search engine and I have added Amazon Spain there along with many others directly from the original websites. Have a look, there are plenty of good reviews.
If you trust it and want to keep using it then you can just ignore the detection, or try to find where the extension is installed and white-list it and see if that works. I don't use Firefox nor have I heard of that extension before so I personally wouldn't recommend it myself.

I would trust Zemana in your shoes...

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
His point still stands. It may be a false positive, but it was flagged for a reason. Do yourself a favour and install the official extension.
The official extension is useless to me :(
I'll have to dig deeper into this, but may very well uninstall the extension I have now.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you use Zemana with default settings?

I think there's a setting for detection of browser extensions, but cannot remember what it's called, or if it's still present.

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
The official extension is useless to me :(
I'll have to dig deeper into this, but may very well uninstall the extension I have now.
Untitled.png

I am really failing to see how this is useless. This is exactly what you were using before, but safer.

Reactions: Fritz and Wave

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Here's a print screen of what I have now. It just allows me to add the search bar of each amazon or whatever site I want to the search bar on the top right.
The Amazon Official Extension didn't show anywhere when I installed it that's why I said it was useless to me. Maybe it was immediately blocked by uBlock Origin?

W

Wave

Here's a print screen of what I have now. It just allows me to add the search bar of each amazon or whatever site I want to the search bar on the top right.
The Amazon Official Extension didn't show anywhere when I installed it that's why I said it was useless to me. Maybe it was immediately blocked by uBlock Origin?

When you installed the add-on did you try restarting your browser before uninstalling it? Try it again, I doubt uBlock Origin would have blocked the official Amazon add-on. I didn't even think uBlock Origin blocked extensions?

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude
W

Wave

If I were you I'd remove all those add-on and try the official one again, if you can get it working then it'd be much better than using a third-party add-on which you can't even trust properly. Regardless of the reviews, it's not the official one, why bother going for a risky unofficial one when the official one is there?

But I mean it's up to you

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
The official extension will prompt you for a browser restart. After that, it should show up to the right of your search bar.

If it is not there, right click, "Customize" and drag the Amazon extension icon where you want it to be placed.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
The official extension will prompt you for a browser restart. After that, it should show up to the right of your search bar.

If it is not there, right click, "Customize" and drag the Amazon extension icon where you want it to be placed.
Can't see that Icon anywhere again. Just reinstalled and restarted. Have a look.

Very strange....
Kaspersky Internet Security and Malwarebytes didn't detect anything...
Anyway I think I'll uninstall it just to be on the safe side.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Can you check your Add-ons tab to make sure that it was actually installed properly?

Amazon Assistant for Firefox

View attachment 135000
View attachment 135001
Just checked again and tried to install through your link, but still nothing.

EDIT: Just got Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner detecting the official amazon Extension as a PUP. It was installed and I couldn't even see it. Guess I'll just go from tab to tab from now on and search each individually and manually.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.