Family members PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
I have a young brother in law who I've set up with Security Essentials on their PC. It seems to have been going well for the last 6 months until I got a call today that pop ups were coming up all over their PC. When I rocked up and booted on the computer and took a look myself, MSE had an alert telling me actions were required. It was adware that despite all of them "attempting" to fix the PC they couldn't click clean on the interface.

My brother in law regularly installs games of all kinds on the computer so I felt this set up would be the easiest for them. User interaction + novices + attempts at them learning = not good. After I fixed this and ran a few scans it came up clean except for traces of the adware. MSE looked as if it did a good job other than this but if it even seems possible I wish they made it even easier to use. Just thought I'd share.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Good to hear everything was sorted, will you be keeping MSE?

You may want to install Unchecky on their PC to prevent further disturbances. I've tested the program against some common adware installers and seemed to do the trick (assuming the user reads the dialogues from Unchecky).

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Good to hear everything was sorted, will you be keeping MSE?

You may want to install Unchecky on their PC to prevent further disturbances. I've tested the program against some common adware installers and seemed to do the trick (assuming the user reads the dialogues from Unchecky).
Nice looking program. Will definitely test it out, thanks for this! Will either just keep using MSE as it has seemed to work well or put Avast on the machine :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.