Status
Not open for further replies.

Infrared

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 15, 2014
Which Defrag software would you prefer out of the ones listed in the poll or if you have your own that you may add!

Edit: Forgot to add Defraggler to the poll just imagine it is and post below if you use it :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Ink

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
i use iobit smart defrag. free, simple and works great.
Only problem is it promotes other iobit softwares. But nothing very aggresive.

Auslogics defrag is also very good.

o&o defrag is also good in paid software.

Reactions: Infrared

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I haven't any favourite, but I have been using Windows Defrag since Windows 7, and now in Windows 8.1 too. One less hassle, because it just works without any custom configuring. And since it's an integrated component of Windows, there are no Ads (as seen in third-party offerings).

1. It will automatically optimise new drives.

upload_2014-2-16_23-35-13.png

2. Scheduled optimisation and de-fragmentation (barely noticeable if it's running).

upload_2014-2-16_23-34-35.png

3. Easy to use and understand, if ever you're required to change a setting.

upload_2014-2-16_23-33-57.png

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Like Huracan, I use Windows Defragmenter for Windows 7, 8.1, & our XP;:) and haven't considered using any others simply because I have not been shown any advantages (yet) to using them.;)

Last edited:

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
the only thing about Windows defrag is there is no boot time defrag and since some files are in use it
can not defrag them (MFT,pagefile,Ect.)

for paid defrag PerfectDisk and O&O are good and have a good offline defrag but are slow with there defrag

Diskeeper use to be good but i think with the new owners i read it has went down hill

Auslogic new version is reported to have a trojan,opencandy or some kind of PUP in it here at Wilders forum
i'v used it before and it defrags fast but no boot defrag unless you pay for the pro version
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=358815

i use Puran defrag it's free and has a boot defrag but also comes with additional programs to opt-out of
when installing

i like Iobit smart defrag but since version 3 is new i'm waiting for a few new builds to try it again

i also like Ultra defrag it is Open Source has no junk has a boot defrag and has a portable version
http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

so i did not vote for one

:)

James

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Fascinating read on:eek: Wilders!:rolleyes:
Excerpts from DoctorPC:
Warning about Auslogic Defrag Free.
"Trojan hits an IP address in Reston, VA which my sources claim is a CIA front server. When I do a deeper search I find the server is named MOE, which is a once famous CIA agent named "Moe Burg", sort of a legend within the CIA I hear. So I wonder.. Why is Auslogics offloading a trojan? Why does it call home to the CIA's MOE server? If you wanted a 'catalog' of every file on someones system, a defragger that dials home would be a WONDERFUL tool.

Check yourself, but be careful!
-http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/-

The link below that says: Alternatively, click here to download from our website

is the one that offloads the trojan. Note, I am not linking the trojan, as this website is a WELL KNOWN defragmentation vendor. I am merely pointing out that they appear to be compromised, either knowingly, or unknowingly.. Whichever, but people should be wanted. Unless you are port monitoring, you may not see what is going on.

from DoctorPC: I did some investigation into this. I found from 3.6.0.0 and prior, there are not any trojans in their installer. Just the ASK toolbarwith a confirmation of installation. So at least for now, it appears that version is safe, and probably totally viable to keep running, or to install without the payloads.

-http://www.oldapps.com/auslogics_disk_defrag.php?old_auslogics_disk_defrag=8598-

Only an 'optional' toolbar (ask), and the file/program seems to be totally clean across the board. For me this is the answer to the issue because I love Auslogic's free defragger, and I can live with an older version as long as it supports Windows 8 and on - which this one does."

Thanks for the link, jim!:)
...shall look into Puran & Ultra too.:cool:

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Puran defrag offers to install conduit software

just watchout if installing that after the setup for puran defrag runs you get a option to install conduit just click decline and the install finishes with no conduit software

alot of free software comes with something now days so you have to be carefull when installing

sometimes thay try to trick you though

James

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

Windows Defrag because even you use a 3rd party defragger; windows will optimize some sector automatically after following its own algorithm, so all you did will become quite useless.

boot time defrag? ummmmm..yes useful if you want gain half a second on your boot time...

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
I'm still on Windows 7 (Driver issue with 8.1) and I've never manually defragmented my HDD. Never had to. Its always set to auto via Windows Defrag.
Ever since I moved on to Windows 7, I never looked back to any defragmenting tool.
Here's my Windows Boot Time- (Without any third party defrag tool)
Ashampoo_Snap_2014_02_17_12h05m03s_001_Glary_Uti.jpg

Note- This is my regular laptop. Not a new/formatted one.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I'm currently using defragmentation O & O program and I am pleased with him some time ago he used PefectDisk but gave up because I wanted to try out something new.o_O

D

Deleted member 178

I'm still on Windows 7 (Driver issue with 8.1) and I've never manually defragmented my HDD. Never had to. Its always set to auto via Windows Defrag.
Ever since I moved on to Windows 7, I never looked back to any defragmenting tool.
Here's my Windows Boot Time- (Without any third party defrag tool)
Ashampoo_Snap_2014_02_17_12h05m03s_001_Glary_Uti.jpg

Note- This is my regular laptop. Not a new/formatted one.

this resume all

Reactions: Myna

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Every millisecond counts!!:p
Agree lol & i use Iobit Smart Defrag 3. I disable it's automatic defrag & it's boot time defrag is cool ;)
But i tested it with Wise defrag, Wise found 2.0% in my C drive, 2.8% in D drive & 6.8% in E drive compare to Iobit defrag deep analysis found 2.51% in C drive, 0.1% in D drive & 0.7% in E drive. So it's tell me nothing is " better" .

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
yes half a second in startup sometimes

but from back in Win XP and the times that i worked on a Vista,Win 7 pc's i'v noticed that after big Windows update like a Service
pack update sometimes when i would run chkdsk /r /f after the update and it would find

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

then i would run a boot defrag after chkdsk and really see a speed up of the startup and performance of the pc

i have not seen it happen on my Win 8/8.1 yet though

James

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
In fact every of these tools can defrag fragmented files o_O. The optimizing files on the disk is what differs them. I noticed that some software are moving files in different order or by different mechanisms (algorithms).
Defraggler will find the largest empty space and fill it with large files.
Wise Defrag (Wise Disk Cleaner) will move files on the end of the disk (partition) first and then reorganize them in some order. Similar thing is done by IObit.
O&O and Auslogics (Disk Defrag Pro) have just little more things that can do.
  • It can reorganize files by pretfetch logs (stores information of what files Windows uses the most often) and put files on that area of hard drive that Windows will access it "much" faster, and large files are moved on the beginning on the hard drive with no empty space between so it wouldn't be fragmented in future.
  • It can defrag locked files (MFT, hyberfil.sys , pagefile.sys, registry)
  • And fill empty space between fragments, creating contiguous space of files with no empty space between, which can significantly reduce further fragmentation
My personal choice would be Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro :)

Reactions: Ulikedat
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.