Favourite Security Configuration ( Past or Present)

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I have a couple going back 15 years or so,

Avast( before the bloat) Malwarebytes, Winpatrol and Online Armour.

Emsisoft, Appguard 4, MBAE.

These are the 2 setups I've stuck with the longest.

Been playing around with Defender, OSArmour, Emsisoft, Voodoo Shield and Malwarebytes lately.

Edit: OSArmour to Online Armour in first config.

Last edited:

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
Past: Malware Defender HIPS and Returnil. A config that gave me great satisfaction in my personal testing with malware without resident antivirus.

Present: Maybe the current one. OS harden & KIS (tweak config)

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

My 2 favorites setup:

1- EAM + Comodo FW v4 (then CIS v5), this is the one that made me famous in MT and inspired lot of members. Sadly Comodo went from top product to crap...
2- EAM + Online Armor Premium; this was a top notch combo, i wish OA was not abandoned, and EAM was still a geek toy with lot of options, i would probably still use this combo today.

But to be honest, i love my actual one, just hardened Win10 Enterprise built-in security.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
April 26, 2013

XP Home S.P.3
Fw resident
Norton DNS
DropMyrights
SBIE ver 4.01.06
EMET ver 4.0
ExploitShield Browser Edition

Opera -Google SSL-WOT/Adblock/Ghostery/Dr.Web Link Checker.

On demand

Hitman Pro.
Hijackthis portable.

Others

SUMo portable.
Process Explorer.

P.S.
MBAE now = ExploitShield Browser Edition.
I had set "MBAE" to work with EMET without overlapping interventions.
I don't remember how the combination of SBIE> 3.76 with MBAE was possible:

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The most exciting and beloved security config I ever used was undoubtedly AppGuard + ReHIPS. Just talking about it makes me want to go back to it, although rationally speaking, I know that I don't need it and it will just cause me grief LOL

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
- EAM + Comodo FW v4 (then CIS v5), this is the one that made me famous in MT and inspired lot of members. Sadly Comodo went from top product to crap...
2- EAM + Online Armor Premium; this was a top notch combo, i wish OA was not abandoned, and EAM was still a geek toy with lot of options, i would probably still use

I didn't know you were a Emsisoft fan @Umbra . Any particular reason?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@Tiamati In fact, back in the days, I was looking for a strong standalone real time AV to stand beside Comodo FW (which was just a firewall HIPS, they didn't developped an AV yet).
I stumbled upon EAM, it was one of the few dual engine AV using the very powerful Ikarus and it was one of the first BB. The BB was very granular, lot of options and setting. The geek's dream toy.
Then I saw they had Online Armor, a firewall HIPS even better than Comodo. so Emsisoft became my favorite brand, I then decided to be a closed beta tester for them, and years later, I became their Community Manager. Reason Emsisoft is the only vendor I trust, because I know the people, their devs and CEO. I know there is no crap or shady things with them. They may not be the strongest AV or biggest company but they are surely the most honest and consumer-devoted one.

Last edited by a moderator:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Distant past (Windows XP): Avast Free 4.7, Tiny Personal Firewall, MVPS Host file, and X-Block antispyware on demand.
Recent past (Windows 7): Webroot 😀, Windows firewall, OSArmor, and HMP on demand
Current: WD with C_D and H_C, Windows firewall, Quad9 DNS, and HMP on demand

Webroot was much lighter than MSE on Windows 7, and I had a free license for it. 🙂

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
The BB was very granular, lot of options and setting. The geek's dream toy.
hahaha i got it

Then I saw they had Online Armor, a firewall HIPS even better than Comodo. so Emsisoft became my favorite brand, I then decided to be a closed beta tester for them, and years later, I became their Community Manager.

Wow! I didn't know that. Very cool! So now i know who to ask when i need ;)

Reactions: Step 1
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Do you mean because they are so much better than all other products?

They are flaws for a fair and equitable marketplace?
Comodo is crap, it is now the shadow of what it was...best example of an awesome product becoming crap and bloated...but if you like it, use it...after all, it is your system...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RKRN3 and roger_m

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
ThreatFire...it looks that is "the hero" not only for me :) Yea...it's (it still can installed and do its work) for me an example of very configurable app that can offer quite different ways of protection...or all of them in the same time. By this cause it's for me similar to SpyShelter.
The next from the past:
- silent hero of my XP machines...just like "time traveler" walking thru decades - Kerio 2.1.5 Free (ver. from 2004) still working an my HP laptop
- classic firewall - Look'n'Stop and Filseclab personal FW - used always with some BB/HIPS/monitor so...
- BB/HIPS - already mentioned TF and System Safety Monitor
- firewall with proactive module - for me "best of the best" - Online Armor
- LV apps - Returnil/Quietzone which closing of development is for me the most cryptic case among similar

Today my favourite setup is composed on three apps that actualy are also "trevelers from the past":
Shadow Defender (LV app)
Keriver Restore 1-click Free (system backup/restore)
SpyShelter FW (multi-featured FW/HIPS/anti-logger)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.