FBI Ransomware Now Targeting Apple’s Mac OS X Users

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
For years, Windows users have been plagued by ransomware demanding several hundred dollars to unlock their computers. The bad guys know there is a growing market of Apple consumers who, for the most part, feel pretty safe browsing the Internet on a Mac without the need for any security product.

Cyber-criminals, well known for not re-inventing the wheel, have ‘ported’ the latest ransomware Trojan to OS X, not by using some complicated exploit but rather leveraging the browser and its ‘restore from crash’ feature.

Source.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Web-based ransomware?

That JS code is quite nifty. I need to terminate my browser from task manager (not OS X). Usually, I've noticed on Chrome, that JS windows can be stopped, but not this one.

Thanks for the share.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.