Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The 24th release of Fedora has been slated for release on June 21; the decision came through the second round at the 'Fedora 24 Final Go/No-Go' meeting. The go-ahead was given following a delay at last week's Go/No-Go meeting. Fedora tries to keep a balance between being stable, and including the latest software. This version is no different bringing with it the latest version of GNOME, Ruby, Python, and much more software.

GNOME 3.20 boasts new features and a better user interface for applications. For developers, the GNOME Builder tool has been updated, the video below gives an overview of the major features included in GNOME 3.20, which ships with Fedora 24:

Other features and changes to be included in the release include:

• Linux Kernel 4.5 shipped by default, with 4.6 being made available as an update.
  • The inclusion of a re-imagined LiveMedia Creator which allows you burn ISOs to USB sticks.
  • An astronomy spin that aims to provide a complete toolchain for both amateur and professional astronomers.
  • Support for the i686 version of Fedora Server will be dropped.
  • Developer software has been updated: there is a new version of GNOME Builder, Ruby was updated to version 2.3, NodeJS was updated to 5.10, Python was updated to 3.5, Golang was updated to 1.6 and Mono was updated to 4.2.
For users running Fedora 23, updating to the new release should be straight forward. GNOME 3.20 brings with it an updated software manager which can handle operating system upgrades. Fedora 23 users will receive the updated Gnome Software as a standard update so that they can easily jump to Fedora 24 on release day.

Source: Fedora via Phoronix

L

Lucent Warrior

Thank you for the share, i was actually just sitting here last night contemplating a play date with Linux again, it has been a bit ;) :)

Reactions: Oxygen and Rishi

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Ah fedora, the love hate relationship continues.
Fedora 21, 23 were perfectly fine for me without hiccups on bare metal. 20 and 22 however was another story.
Testing bed for RedHat, yet bleeding edge approach, just like Arch in a way.
For older hardware, I would not recommend Fedora, but for newer hardware (say last 4 years or so), if the user wants to dabble in RPM based distros, Fedora is my go to, although if you wait a bit, Korora will make life easier for new users.

On the list to be installed on bare metal. Luckily I still have the necessary links etc to enhance fedora.

Reactions: Alkajak

Hadden

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Fedora is nice but need a bit of research to have everything (codec,driver,extras); It replaced (x)ubuntu on my secondary pc (x32) where I had "everything", but it was more prone to "irreversible" lockdowns, probably due the kernel (I'm not very expert on linux, I know only a bit).

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Fedora is nice but need a bit of research to have everything (codec,driver,extras); It replaced (x)ubuntu on my secondary pc (x32) where I had "everything", but it was more prone to "irreversible" lockdowns, probably due the kernel (I'm not very expert on linux, I know only a bit).
Fedora for new users, go Korora route. It contains the codecs etc. Basically a souped up Fedora out of the box

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.