File compression utility software

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
Hello,
I need a software which can compress the size of large file by at least 10-20% of its original size.

Can you suggest me name of such utility to do the above task?
I tried WinRaR, Winzip, Power ISO but i am not able to compress file size as desire. Its hardly reduce the file size by 1-2% after compression.

For example. a 600MB file after compression will only reduce to ~590MB.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
KGB Archiver - Ortho outdated (Last update in 2008) but still the highest compression I know of compared to the popular WinRAR, 7Zip applications. I used it once to get very high compression but it took quite some time and depends on your CPU power.

For ultra video and movie compression I use HandBrake and with the right settings you can compress the file by alot with no noticeable loss in quality.

If anyone else knows of other/better software let us both know.

Thanks.

zeff

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 18, 2011
loveboy_lion said:
did u try 7zip if not u can download it from http://www.7-zip.org/ hope it helps

Ya i tried but hardly get ~ 9% reduced in orignal file size. I need more compression ratio. Would you suggest me any setting under 7zip program to reduce file size more?
Thanks

MrXidus said:
KGB Archiver - Ortho outdated (Last update in 2008) but still the highest compression I know of compared to the popular WinRAR, 7Zip applications. I used it once to get very high compression but it took quite some time and depends on your CPU power.

For ultra video and movie compression I use HandBrake and with the right settings you can compress the file by alot with no noticeable loss in quality.

If anyone else knows of other/better software let us both know.

Thanks.
I will check it.
Thanks

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
KGB Archiver has the highest compression ratio that I know.
What kind of a file you are compressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.