File Encryption RSA 2048

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
I have a lot of files on my laptop, a lot relating to work. I encrypt these with RSA 2048 storing the RSA public and private keys on an encrypted USB. Is that secure enough, or can it be hacked?

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
U could easy find a answer on google. :) Faster than here to wait for a answer. But yes,it is secure enough.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
That's true I could, but I find here you get better advice, from people who know what they are talking about.

H

hjlbx

I have a lot of files on my laptop, a lot relating to work. I encrypt these with RSA 2048 storing the RSA public and private keys on an encrypted USB. Is that secure enough, or can it be hacked?

It's OK Tony... there is essentially no hope of a hack without a decrypt key. A password hack is entirely different, but that is not what you're talking about.

However, there are two potential problems with removing the key from your system.

You lose the flash drive and someone gets ahold of it. Extremely unlikely, but in the case they get physical access to your system they can get into the files. Like I said...extremely unlikely.

If you lose that flash drive or damage it (like... by forgetting to remove it from your pocket and it goes into the washing machine and then a hot dryer which manages to screw it up somehow) you have a problem. Permanently lose the key and likewise all your data is permanently inaccessible. This scenario is much more likely to occur.

Something to think about...

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
That's very, very true! You have made me think now, I think I need to back-up on to another USB, or can you suggest another idea(s)?

scot

Level 9
Verified
Dec 5, 2014
Anything is possible in this world and nothing is perfect. So, this is your best available option. If you are worried of losing your encrypted USB then have 2 encrypted USB's & keep the 2nd one in a safe place.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Store the key information on a password manager because that's another layered security as it cannot easily access anyone due to master password besides keeping other extra USB in a secret area.

Reactions: scot
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.