Troubleshoot File Explorer cannot be accessed

Anti

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2017
I tried to reset the icon cache for a few programs with the registry, but something went wrong and I ended up making it so I couldn't access File Explorer or use the taskbar.

Does anyone have a fix?

Reactions: Weebarra and Syafiq

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Type the shortcut to search for cmd: WinKey+R
then type cmd in the search, in the Command form that shows up, at the prompt type: sfc /scannow
and hit Enter.
The System File Checker wll run and try to fix any errors it finds (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
lick This also might help, right click on the tasb and open Task Manager. Scroll down till you find Windows Explorer right click to open option then double restart Explorer. ;) It can help.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Try to run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "Shell" /t REG_SZ /d "explorer.exe" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "Userinit" /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe," /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "Shell" /t REG_SZ /d "explorer.exe" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v "BootExecute" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "autocheck autochk *" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v "SETUPEXECUTE" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "" /f

Additionally you can try to download and run this as admin (it includes SFC scan and etc): [Batch] Windows Update Fix - Pastebin.com

Upvote 0

Anti

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2017
Try to run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "Shell" /t REG_SZ /d "explorer.exe" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "Userinit" /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe," /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v "Shell" /t REG_SZ /d "explorer.exe" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v "BootExecute" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "autocheck autochk *" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v "SETUPEXECUTE" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "" /f

Additionally you can try to download and run this as admin (it includes SFC scan and etc): [Batch] Windows Update Fix - Pastebin.com
I hope this doesn't kill my PC. And with the fact I'm getting most "Access Denied" while running this script as I speak I have to say it might.

Reactions: Syafiq
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I tried to reset the icon cache for a few programs with the registry
You should not have needed to modify the Windows Registry to rebuild the Icon Cache.

Thumbnail files can be erased using Windows Disk Clean-up
Reset Icon Cache: Rebuild Icon Cache, Clear Thumbnail cache in Windows 10
Or download the 'Thumbnail and Cache Re-builder' tool: Thumbnail and Icon Cache Rebuilder for Windows 10

Increasing the cache size requires the Windows Registry to be modified.
How to increase Icon Cache size in Windows 10/8/7

Upvote 0

Anti

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2017
Okay... this thread can be closed. I ran a registry repair and it worked... but "Reset this PC" keeps saying "install environment not found".

Reactions: Syafiq
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.