files corrupted by ukash ransomware

stifado

Thread author
Feb 19, 2013
Hi Folks:
All my hard drive files have been corrupted by ukash ransomware.
Story so far-
After the initial attack I used AVG anti virus and Superanti spyware but not in safe mode. PC was then able to function but all files on hard drive had been corrupted. I contacted a PC advisor who was unable to fix and replaced the hard drive with a new one and is currently looking for solution with the old drive which contains all my old corrupted files but no joy to date.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
---------------------------
System details;
Windows 7 Ultimate/64 bit/internet explorer9/windows firewall

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi and welcome to MalwareTips! :)

I'n Fiery and I would gladly assist you in removing the malware on your computer.

Before we start:
  • Note that the removal process is not immediate. Depending on the severity of your infection, it could take a long time.
  • Malware removal can be dangerous. I cannot guarantee the safety of your system as malware can be unpredictable. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system. Therefore, I would advise you to backup all your important files before we start.
  • Please be patient and stay with me until I give you the green lights and inform you that your PC is clean.
  • Some tools may be flagged by your antivirus as harmful. Rest assure that ALL the tools we use are safe, the detections are false positives.
  • The absence of symptoms does not mean your PC is fully disinfected.
  • If you are unclear about the instructions, please stop and ask. Following the steps in the order that I post them in is vital.
  • Lastly, if you have requested help on other sites, that will delay and hinder the removal process. Please only stick to one site.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from the below link:
<ul><li>For 64 bit systems download <a title="External link" href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe" rel="nofollow external"><>Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64</></a> and save it to a USB/flash drive.</li>

Also download Listparts 64 bit and save it to the USB/flash drive also.

<li>Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.</li>

<li>Enter <>System Recovery Options</>.</li>

<>To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:</>
<ul>
<li>Restart the computer.</li>
<li>As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the<> F8</> key until Advanced Boot Options appears.</li>
<li>Use the arrow keys to select the <>Repair your computer</> menu item.</li>
<li>Select <>US</> as the keyboard language settings, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
<li>Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
<li>Select your user account an click <>Next</>.</li>
</ul>

<li>On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:</span>
<pre>Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt</pre>
<ol>
<li>Select <>Command Prompt</></li>
<li>In the command window type in <>notepad</> and press <>Enter</>.</li>
<li>The notepad opens. Under File menu select <>Open</>.</li>
<li>Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.</li>
<li>In the command window type <span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\frst64</> and press <>Enter</>
<>Note:</><span style="color: #ff0000;"> Replace letter <>e</> with the drive letter of your flash drive.</span></li>
<li>The tool will start to run.</li>
<li>When the tool opens click <>Yes</> to disclaimer.</li>
<li>Press <>Scan</> button.</li>
<li><>FRST</> will let you know when the scan is complete and has written the <>FRST.txt</> to file, close the message.
<li>Back in the command prompt, type <span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\listparts64.exe</> and press <>Enter</>
<li>ListParts will start to run. Check the box beside List BCD and click Scan
<li>When finished scanning it will make a log Result.txt on the flash drive
<li>Type exit</li>
<li>Please copy and paste both FRST.txt and Result.txt logs in your next reply</li></li>
</ol>
</ul>

Last edited by a moderator:

stifado

Thread author
Feb 19, 2013
Fiery said:
Hi and welcome to MalwareTips! :)

I'n Fiery and I would gladly assist you in removing the malware on your computer.

Before we start:
  • Note that the removal process is not immediate. Depending on the severity of your infection, it could take a long time.
  • Malware removal can be dangerous. I cannot guarantee the safety of your system as malware can be unpredictable. It is possible that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system. Therefore, I would advise you to backup all your important files before we start.
  • Please be patient and stay with me until I give you the green lights and inform you that your PC is clean.
  • Some tools may be flagged by your antivirus as harmful. Rest assure that ALL the tools we use are safe, the detections are false positives.
  • The absence of symptoms does not mean your PC is fully disinfected.
  • If you are unclear about the instructions, please stop and ask. Following the steps in the order that I post them in is vital.
  • Lastly, if you have requested help on other sites, that will delay and hinder the removal process. Please only stick to one site.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from the below link:
<ul><li>For 64 bit systems download <a title="External link" href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe" rel="nofollow external"><>Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64</></a> and save it to a USB/flash drive.</li>

Also download Listparts 64 bit and save it to the USB/flash drive also.

<li>Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.</li>

<li>Enter <>System Recovery Options</>.</li>

<>To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:</>
<ul>
<li>Restart the computer.</li>
<li>As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the<> F8</> key until Advanced Boot Options appears.</li>
<li>Use the arrow keys to select the <>Repair your computer</> menu item.</li>
<li>Select <>US</> as the keyboard language settings, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
<li>Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
<li>Select your user account an click <>Next</>.</li>
</ul>

<li>On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:</span>
<pre>Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt</pre>
<ol>
<li>Select <>Command Prompt</></li>
<li>In the command window type in <>notepad</> and press <>Enter</>.</li>
<li>The notepad opens. Under File menu select <>Open</>.</li>
<li>Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.</li>
<li>In the command window type <span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\frst64</> and press <>Enter</>
<>Note:</><span style="color: #ff0000;"> Replace letter <>e</> with the drive letter of your flash drive.</span></li>
<li>The tool will start to run.</li>
<li>When the tool opens click <>Yes</> to disclaimer.</li>
<li>Press <>Scan</> button.</li>
<li><>FRST</> will let you know when the scan is complete and has written the <>FRST.txt</> to file, close the message.
<li>Back in the command prompt, type <span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\listparts64.exe</> and press <>Enter</>
<li>ListParts will start to run. Check the box beside List BCD and click Scan
<li>When finished scanning it will make a log Result.txt on the flash drive
<li>Type exit</li>
<li>Please copy and paste both FRST.txt and Result.txt logs in your next reply</li></li>
</ol>
</ul>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Fiery: Thanks for prompt reply. However just to clarify- my corrupted hard drive has been removed from my pc which has now been setup with a new hard drive and functions fine.
My old hard drive is with a pc advisor and as all my personal files have been corrupted and have been replaced by a mass of random symbols, there are no files to save.
What Im hoping to do is recover these files by removing the corruption.So the starting point is for my PC advisor to install my corrupted drive on one of his pcs. Then do I proceed with your instructions as stated ?

Thanks very much for your offer of help.
Regards

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

That's unfortunate. It sounds to me your drive was crippled by a file encrypter. Depending on which variant you are infected by, there may or may not be a chance to retrieve your files.

If your PC advisor can't come up with a solution, take the drive back and I'll give it a try after you follow the instructions above on the corrupted disk. It would be helpful if you ask if he knows what the infection name is.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.