D

Deleted member 178

hi guys,

i know that many of you really cares about boot time especially while using many security softs that hampers it, so there is a manual way to find it without tools like Soluto or others.

Advice : to maximize your boot time , you have to enable Fast Startup option.

you can activate it by Power Options > "Choose what the power buttons" > "Change settings that are currently unavailable" > check "Turn on Fast Start-Up (recommended)"

ok now shut down your computer and start it (no restart)

1- open the Event Viewer (type Event Viewer in search box)
2- go to "Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics Performance > Operational
3- look for the Event ID indicated by 100, click on it , you should have this :

You can see your boot duration in ms , the number indicated measure the total time of your boot , post boot processes included, (means the services/processes loaded after you are in the desktop).

Mine is around 1.20 minutes , not bad for an 2 years laptop with HDD.

Now if you open the Task manager you will have your boot time measured from the end of the bios loading to the welcome screen ;

i observed that a restart is even faster (took me around 2.7 sec)

thanks for reading

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Disabled Fast Start-up after problems booting with hybrid / sleep state shutdown. Here's my results:

upload_2015-10-22_17-16-37.png

Convert ms to seconds (or minutes), using Google search. Approx. 20 seconds.
upload_2015-10-22_17-16-59.png

Windows Task Manager states Last BIOS time: 3.6 seconds.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Beware that Event Viewer take some time to display the latest boot/reboot. Check the time and date.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
I understand, that is why I took the most recent reading. A result from September reads, 22799ms. On average, I have a fast boot time, with Fast Start-up disabled.

D

Deleted member 178

The fast startup only affect when the PC is restarting not when shut down. Also, i have 3 drives on my PC so that could be explain why i have 26.4 seconds cold boot.
Fast startup is disabled when restarting, it is only on boot because it uses hibernation when shutdowning.

D

Deleted member 178

i5-3230, it is a 3 years old laptop. So i dont expect much of it compared to the recent ones.

The time to reach the desktop is fast , less than 30sec.