Guide | How To Find your Boot Time in Windows 8/10

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
hi guys,

i know that many of you really cares about boot time especially while using many security softs that hampers it, so there is a manual way to find it without tools like Soluto or others.

Advice : to maximize your boot time , you have to enable Fast Startup option.

you can activate it by Power Options > "Choose what the power buttons" > "Change settings that are currently unavailable" > check "Turn on Fast Start-Up (recommended)"

ok now shut down your computer and start it (no restart)

1- open the Event Viewer (type Event Viewer in search box)
2- go to "Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics Performance > Operational
3- look for the Event ID indicated by 100, click on it , you should have this :

dyrqiec.png

You can see your boot duration in ms , the number indicated measure the total time of your boot , post boot processes included, (means the services/processes loaded after you are in the desktop).

Mine is around 1.20 minutes , not bad for an 2 years laptop with HDD.

Now if you open the Task manager you will have your boot time measured from the end of the bios loading to the welcome screen ;

Vy1uPW8.png

i observed that a restart is even faster (took me around 2.7 sec)

thanks for reading

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
i Get access is denied (5).............maybe i need to log on as administrator?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Disabled Fast Start-up after problems booting with hybrid / sleep state shutdown. Here's my results:

upload_2015-10-22_17-16-37.png

Convert ms to seconds (or minutes), using Google search. Approx. 20 seconds.
upload_2015-10-22_17-16-59.png

Windows Task Manager states Last BIOS time: 3.6 seconds.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Beware that Event Viewer take some time to display the latest boot/reboot. Check the time and date.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I understand, that is why I took the most recent reading. A result from September reads, 22799ms. On average, I have a fast boot time, with Fast Start-up disabled.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
The fast startup only affect when the PC is restarting not when shut down. Also, i have 3 drives on my PC so that could be explain why i have 26.4 seconds cold boot.

Fast startup is disabled when restarting, it is only on boot because it uses hibernation when shutdowning.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i5-3230, it is a 3 years old laptop. So i dont expect much of it compared to the recent ones.

The time to reach the desktop is fast , less than 30sec.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.