Fingerprints Mandatory in ID Cards

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Identity cards held by EU citizens will be required to include digital images of the holder’s fingerprints as part of a crackdown on fraudulent documents used by criminals and extremists, the European Commission proposed on Tuesday. In a proposal likely to make waves in countries such as Germany, whose history has made data privacy a guarded asset, the Commission wants to do away with paper-based identity documents that are easy to falsify and can be used to enter the bloc from non-EU countries. The Commission said in its proposal on Tuesday that it would not oblige countries to introduce ID cards, but those countries that use them would be required to include two pieces of biometric data: an image of two fingerprints and a facial image. Non-compliant cards should be phased out within five years, and within two years for cards that cannot be read by a machine. New cards should be valid for no more than 10 years.
This is not new news as the proposal was made last year but I find it interesting enough as for example the Swedish government has now proposed this to happen within 3 years. The today used driver license accepted as an ID card would become invalid and citizens have to every 5 year apply for a new ID card. Similar procedure thats made with passports. Have more physical cards ain't really what I personal would like, but ID card ( driver license ) in ones phone perhaps?

This new ID cards might also help the use of more Biometric solutions but I still wonder if the people that decided to implement this actually talked with genuine experts about fingerprint hacks.
“Even fingerprints can be forged and terrorist assassins and their henchmen regularly obtain weapons and financial means without presenting an identity card,”

How does ID card work today in your country and what do you think about the proposal?

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Finland has same system currently than swedish does. I doubt its gonna happen here at all, since it will cost alot and too much paper work

L

Local Host

How does ID card work today in your country and what do you think about the proposal?
I though every country on Europe used a Citizen Card already,

Drivers license was never used as ID here, their proposal is a simple update to the current European Citizen Card, nothing more.

They pretty much include ID, Tax Card, Social Security Card, Health Services Card and Voters Card all in one, so there's no complains whasoever.

Even though the example is for a Portuguese card, they're used across more countries of Europe. Any country not using those cards is pretty much outdated, I haven't seen a paper ID in over a decade.

Last edited:

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
What do you think about the proposal?

What i think about mandatory fingerprints in id cards would result in a ban because of to much profanity.
Whats next, mandatory dna samples or chip implants for the masses?
I get more and more the feeling Orwell's book "1984" is where it will all end....

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
What do you think about the proposal?

What i think about mandatory fingerprints in id cards would result in a ban because of to much profanity.
Whats next, mandatory dna samples or chip implants for the masses?
I get more and more the feeling Orwell's book "1984" is where it will all end....

On one hand, privacy and avoiding government overreach is important.

On the other hand.... the government has a legitimate need to be able to identify people (especially people trying not to be identified) in order to protect its citizens.

Hard to know what the right balance is..

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
On the other hand.... the government has a legitimate need to be able to identify people (especially people trying not to be identified) in order to protect its citizens.
I understand it for e.g. criminals or people entering a country without any official passport/documents from there homecountry.
But for the whole population of a country it's to much general suspicion for my taste.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I though every country on Europe used a Citizen Card already, View attachment 212060
Drivers license was never used as ID here, their proposal is a simple update to the current European Citizen Card, nothing more.

They pretty much include ID, Tax Card, Social Security Card, Health Services Card and Voters Card all in one, so there's no complains whasoever.

Even though the example is for a Portuguese card, they're used across more countries of Europe. Any country not using those cards is pretty much outdated, I haven't seen a paper ID in over a decade.
Greek id card is forever

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.