New Update Firefox 107 Stable Release with security fixes and Windows performance improvements

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mozilla Firefox 107 will be released later today. The new Stable version of the Firefox web browser fixes several security issues in the browser and improves performance for some users who run the browser on Windows 11 version 22H2 devices.

New​

• Improved the performance of the instance when Microsoft's IME and Defender retrieve the URL of a focused document in Windows 11 version 22H2.
  • Power profiling — visualizing performance data recorded from web browsers — is now also supported on Linux and Mac with Intel CPUs, in addition to Windows 11 and Apple Silicon.

Fixed​

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Since v. 107 I often get an abnormally high RAM usage even with only one or maybe two tabs opened. Anybody facing similar problems?

Screenshot 2022-11-22 212927.jpg

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Since v. 107 I often get an abnormally high RAM usage even with only one or maybe two tabs opened. Anybody facing similar problems?

View attachment 270877

No such issues here on my FF 107. But we saw a lot of weird issues recently on FF... What about your addons? 🤔

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
No such issues here on my FF 107. But we saw a lot of weird issues recently on FF... What about your addons? 🤔
Still using the same extensions as always. The only possible problem that comes to my mind is a conflict between an extension and my about:config tweaks. But then the problems should have occured in previous versions too...

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Still using the same extensions as always. The only possible problem that comes to my mind is a conflict between an extension and my about:config tweaks. But then the problems should have occured in previous versions too...

You could try FF with disabled addons. A new user profile might would help but that to start and tweak it's a real pain 🤷‍♂️

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Firefox 107.0.1 fixes a hang and other non-security issues​

Firefox 107.0.1 addresses a hang of the browser on Windows 11 version 22H2 systems. Microsoft introduced a new feature, called Suggested Actions, in that version of the operating system. The feature displays certain actions when users copy information to the operating system's clipboard.

The initial version of Suggested Actions limit this to phone numbers, date and time data. The copying of the phone number would display an option to call it right away.

Firefox users on Windows 10 version 22H2 may have experienced hangs of the browser when copying phone number links. The update to version 107.0.1 resolves the issue.

Another bug fixed in the release deals with accessibility issues in the browser's private browsing mode. Functionality on sites with anti-adblocking services installed was limited in Firefox's private browsing mode with Enhanced Tracking Protection set to strict. The issue seems to have affected the French website tf1.fr only according to the bug report.

Firefox 107.0.1 fixes three additional bugs:

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Firefox 107.0.1 fixes a hang and other non-security issues​

curious! I opened firefox v107.0 to run the update, updated as expected but simultaneously ESET popped up a warning that windows explorer "tried to access" potentially unsafe app ms sysinternals procexp64.exe. Process explorer was not running. I did not realize that process explorer was considered a pua, and why would updating firefox cause windows explorer to access process explorer?? This is the first time I've gotten this ESET warning about this pua. I sent the file for analysis to ESET. Must have been triggered by behavior rather than hash??

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
FF v107.0.1 crashed during the update, I had some open tabs and allowed the update while browsing them, intending to restart FF when the install was completed. It crashed again after a few minutes after opening FF again. I'd checked if the update was completed, it was. Starting FF again it worked for about 5 minutes and then froze, memory usage went through the roof and the PC then froze, there is 32Gbs of RAM. I left the PC to see if it would revert back to normal, it did after a few minutes but FF had crashed again.

This may be related to
No, but it still uses more RAM than LibreWolf, which runs very efficiently.
as I'd noticed the same higher usage by FF when compared to LW. Or it could be a conflict with an extension, I have not installed any new ones recently, so it might be an updated extension conflicting, but I sense its more likely to be FF. I can't see any obvious extension conflict. The FF profile I was using has the latest Arkenfox user.js plus some other about:config tweaks. I opened a FF profile with no about:config tweaks and very few extensions, it seems to be stable. I'll report back if I narrow the cause down.

Edit - I thought I should add that I was not doing anything else other than browsing at the time this was occuring, no intensive graphics tasks etc were taking place.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
as I'd noticed the same higher usage by FF when compared to LW. Or it could be a conflict with an extension, I have not installed any new ones recently, so it might be an updated extension conflicting, but I sense its more likely to be FF. I can't see any obvious extension conflict. The FF profile I was using has the latest Arkenfox user.js plus some other about:config tweaks. I opened a FF profile with no about:config tweaks and very few extensions, it seems to be stable. I'll report back if I narrow the cause down.
Don't get we wrong, Firefox had a way too many bugs/issues recently, but sometimes the reason is simple when users tweaking UI stuff on "userChrome.css" or has a lot of tweaks on about:config. I don't know details for "arkenfox user.js" but that might can be also a problem.

As you already well done, starting/creating a new FF user profile does usually solve most issues. I personally doing that every 6 months again, but it's annoying for sure ;)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Don't get we wrong, Firefox had a way too many bugs/issues recently, but sometimes the reason is simple when users tweaking UI stuff on "userChrome.css" or has a lot of tweaks on about:config. I don't know details for "arkenfox user.js" but that might can be also a problem.

As you already well done, starting/creating a new FF user profile does usually solve most issues. I personally doing that every 6 months again, but it's annoying for sure ;)
I certainly am not getting you wrong, what you said makes a lot of sense to me. Best practice with FF seems to be to make new profiles on a regular basis these days, it certainly is annoying.

I don't have the time this morning to start disabling individual extensions to try to narrow down a possible conflict. I most definitely do not have the time to go through all of the changes made by the Arkenfox user.js. I think I will try a new profile with that user.js and then add the extensions individually that I have in the profile where the crashes occurred today.

But, I am wondering if it is more likely to be a FF bug, especially after the long series of v106.x.x releases.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
@Stopspying

@silversurfer is correct. Consider using FF with only a few tweaks. You might want to check this: Firefox Privacy or: How I Learned to Stop Hardening and Love Strict Tracking Protection
Thanks for the link. For about a year now I've been using Librewolf as my primary browser with FF as a secondary one. The latter had been my main browser since shortly after it first appeared on desktops and laptops, with time spent trying out Brave, Vivaldi, Opera, Waterfox etc along the way. The hardened nature of LW has impacted my use of certain sites, i.e.banking/financial ones and I've used a relatively untweaked FF profile to visit those sites.

I think that I've been 'guilty' of following the extra hardening path, much like I did to some extent the more extensions path before reining in my experimentation with those due to the number of sites that were broken by this, without very regular tweaking of the various extensions settings. I've long had multiple profiles in both FF and LW, using them for different purposes. Innovations like containers, default https and strict tracking protection have 'pushed' me into cutting back on the extensions installed on both browsers. I'm likely to continue with several profiles but need to adjust which uses they get put to I think.

As for FF crashing after the install; a computer restart seems to have fixed the issue, as it has not happened again. This was afterclosing FF several times seemed to make no difference. Yesterday evening I used FF the most for various types of browsing to test it out.

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.