Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Mozilla today launched Firefox 54 for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android. The new version includes the next major phase of multi-process support, which streamlines memory use, improving responsiveness and speed.

Mozilla’s multi-process support in Firefox has been in development for years as part of the Electrolysis project. In fact, work to make the frontend and add-ons support multiple processes began in early 2013, and Firefox Nightly gained multi-process support in November 2014.

With the release of Firefox 48, Mozilla enabled multi-process support for 1 percent of users, slowly ramping up to nearly half of the Firefox Release channel. With Firefox 49, Mozilla expanded support to include a small initial set of compatible add-ons, declaring that the goal was to have all Firefox users with multi-process sometime in the first half of 2017.

e10s-multi.png

That time has now arrived with Firefox 54 — the Electrolysis project, which is the largest change to Firefox code ever, is live. Firefox now uses up to four processes to run webpage content across all open tabs. This means that complex webpages in one tab have a much lower impact on responsiveness and speed in other tabs, and Firefox finally makes better use of your computer’s hardware.

As a result, Firefox also uses less memory. To show the improvement, Mozilla ran tests comparing memory usage for various browsers on Windows 10, macOS, and Linux:

firefox_54_memory_usage_comparison.png

Mozilla today also shared an update on its plans to build a next-generation browser engine (Project Quantum) that takes full advantage of modern hardware.

Mozilla releases new Firefox versions every 6 to 8 weeks, and Firefox 55 is currently slated for early August.

Here’s the full Firefox 54 changelog:
  • Added Burmese (my) locale
  • Added support for multiple content processes (e10s-multi)
  • Simplified the download button and download status panel
  • Various security fixes
  • Moved the mobile bookmarks folder to the main bookmarks menu for easier access
  • Additional changes for web developers
  • Added ability to create and save custom devices in Responsive Design Mode
Here’s the full Firefox 54 for Android changelog:
  • Add Bulgarian (bg) and Kabyle (kab) locales
  • Various security fixes
  • Fixed formatting for right-to-left languages, including formatting of preference names in about:config
  • Improved audio and video playback in the browser
  • Improved bookmarks sync performance

Parsh

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
why does it feel like Firefox is kinda late to the party?
Certainly! But make sure to read the first quoted part :rolleyes: More than a year and they've been experimenting..
They used all their tries. Skipping FF for a while until they do something good and keep up with Chromium stuff.
Same here. Will wait till they showcase how well their implementations do against the other browsers (you know which) already well accepted. Man, so many security and feature-rich Chrome & Chromium browsers out there ;)

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I'll try firefox until version 57 or 58 because there will be more interesting changes. Chrome is the best for me now

Reactions: Parsh

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Released: Firefox 54.0

Changelog:
----------------------
New:
  • Added Burmese (my) locale
  • Added support for multiple content processes (e10s-multi)
  • Simplified the download button and download status panel
Fixed:
  • Various security fixes
  • Changed:
  • Moved the mobile bookmarks folder to the main bookmarks menu for easier access
Developer:
  • Additional changes for web developers
  • Added ability to create and save custom devices in Responsive Design Mode
----------------------

Download: Browse Freely

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
why does it feel like Firefox is kinda late to the party?
I do not think they are late they have completely missed the party.as they say old habits die hard most of people have become habitual of chrome and it is not easy for them to ditch chrome

D

Deleted member 178

FF is now a Chrome copy...multi-process, sandbox and even the UI is quite similar... the only things on which they surpass Chrome is the customization and extensions.
i have installed FF v54 beta 1-2 month ago to see the changes, let see what they will do in the future, it still doesn't impressed me enough to shift back to FF. (unlike Chrome made me shift from FF/Cyberfox years ago).

Reactions: ravi prakash saini
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.