Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mozilla Firefox 108.0 Stable is the latest version of the Firefox web browser. The browser will be released today, alongside Firefox 102.6 ESR, the Extended Support Release.

Firefox 108 is a security update, but it makes a few changes and improvements to the browser that are not security related. Windows 11 users get support for efficiency mode, which is designed to reduce the resource usage of background tabs, and all users may use Shift-Esc to open the Process Manager of the browser.

Firefox 108.0 new features and improvements​

Firefox 108 is a small release. It is a security update first and foremost, but it includes some improvements that are not related to the browser's security.

You may remember that Mozilla introduced performance improvements for Windows 11 devices in Firefox 107. Firefox 108 continues the improvements, although unrelated to the changes in Firefox 107. The new version adds support for Windows 11's efficiency mode, which Microsoft introduced in the Windows 11 2022 Update.

The mode should not be confused with Microsoft Edge's Efficiency Mode feature. Both are designed to improve performance, but Windows 11's Efficiency Mode feature is available to all apps, regardless of whether they are browsers or not.

The mode is enabled automatically by Firefox. A quick check of the Windows Task Manager, using Ctrl-Shift-Esc, shows the Efficiency icon for some of Firefox's processes. This limits the resource use of these Firefox processes.

firefox efficiency mode

Other changes and fixes

Firefox users may use the keyboard shortcut Shift-Esc to display the process manager of the browser. It lists all open processes and helps users find processes that use too many resources.

Mozilla notes in the release notes that frame scheduling under load has been improved. The change improves "Firefox's MotionMark scores" according to the organization.

process manager firefox

Other changes listed in the release notes:
  • Support for ICCv4 profiles added to the firefox web browser.
  • Support for non-English characters when saving and printing PDF documents added.
  • Fixed an issue with Firefox's "Only show on new tab" default bookmark toolbar behavior.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does anyone knows how to get rid of this line?
Appeared after recent update to 108.

View attachment 271270

You are on macOS, right? Is there even the ability to "Customize Toolbar" of Firefox, usually then we can remove buttons or lines.

On Windows 11, My FF does still look like before on previous version 107 🤷‍♂️

FF.png

Last edited:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
You are on macOS, right? Is there even the ability to "Customize Toolbar" of Firefox, usually then we can remove buttons or lines.

On Windows 11, My FF does still look like before on previous version 107 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 271272
Problem is that this line cannot be removed using customization options.
Must be a bug.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I've found the solution.
In about:config I've reverted value of browser.tabs.firefox-view back to true and then I've removed Firefox icon from tab bar using right click menu and then the annoying vertical line dissapeared.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I've found the solution.
In about:config I've reverted value of browser.tabs.firefox-view back to true and then I've removed Firefox icon from tab bar using right click menu and then the annoying vertical line dissapeared.
I was going to say it might be related to that stupid Private Browsing tab/icon. Glad you found the solution.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Mozilla always makes mistakes when it comes to firefox interface, due to certain bugs and many times they make changes in the GUI that most of the time I do not like, I still have firefox installed here on my computers and notebooks, I have not migrated definitive just because of this, it should be simpler or small subtle changes, listen more to user feedback, that's why chrome dominates the browser market, save some exceptions like brave for example.:(

Reactions: CyberTech

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

What is new in Firefox 108?​

• New shortcut for the Process Manager. Like other browsers, Firefox has a built-in "Task Manager" to monitor how tabs and other browser processes consume resources. You can now press Shift + Esc to launch Firefox Process Manager.
  • Windows 11 Efficiency Mode Support. Firefox now supports Windows 11's Efficiency mode to increase energy efficiency and reduce resource strain.
  • ICCv4 Images. Firefox 108 adds support for color-correcting images tagged with ICCv4 profiles.
  • PDF Forms Improvements. Printing and saving PDF forms now supports non-English characters.
  • Fixes for the Bookmarks toolbar. The bookmarks toolbar's default "Only show on New Tab" state now works correctly for blank new tabs.

Firefox 108 also contains several under-the-hood changes and improvements:
  • Import maps, which allow web pages to control the behavior of JavaScript imports, are now enabled by default.
  • Improved frame scheduling when under load; this substantially improves Firefox's MotionMark scores.
  • Firefox now supports the WebMIDI API and a new experimental mechanism for controlling access to dangerous capabilities.

The source

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 108.0.2 will be released today.

Fixed​

• Fixes a crash for some users on Mac OS X 10.12-10.14 during video playback.
  • Fixes a crash that might occur when managing browser history.

Changed​

• The "Tabs sharing devices" menu item for WebRTC is now located in the tools menu on macOS only.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
to make firefox better and faster

This looks interesting, thanks. I'm more into privacy and security tweaks than speed and I have been using various methods to create different profiles; such as the GitHub - arkenfox/user.js: Firefox privacy, security and anti-tracking: a comprehensive user.js template for configuration and hardening and Firefox Profilemaker

Have you, or others on MT, compared Betterfox with them? If so, what are your conclusions?

Reactions: plat

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
This looks interesting, thanks. I'm more into privacy and security tweaks than speed and I have been using various methods to create different profiles; such as the GitHub - arkenfox/user.js: Firefox privacy, security and anti-tracking: a comprehensive user.js template for configuration and hardening and Firefox Profilemaker

Have you, or others on MT, compared Betterfox with them? If so, what are your conclusions?
Now after the next post about topic "user.js" or similar tweaks. Please try to avoid flooding this thread with a lot of messages about that as you does asking further, instead rather just consider to start a new thread only for this purpose where users can talking about hardening Firefox with special tweaks via about: config or user.js

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Now after the next post about topic "user.js" or similar tweaks. Please try to avoid flooding this thread with a lot of messages about that as you does asking further, instead rather just consider to start a new thread only for this purpose where users can talking about hardening Firefox with special tweaks via about: config or user.js
Sorry I missed this, will do.

• Applause
Reactions: silversurfer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.