Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 110 (after next version) might be coming with some useful improvement:
Mozilla plans to enable GPU sandboxing in Firefox 110 Stable for Windows in February 2023. GPU sandboxing improves Firefox security by applying isolations to the GPU process. [...]

Mozilla confirmed the intention to launch GPU sandboxing in Firefox 110 for Windows on the organization's Bugzilla website. There, it confirmed that Firefox 110 will be the first stable release of the web browser that supports the feature by default.

GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Beta, Developer and Nightly versions of the Firefox web browser for some time.

The Firefox preference security.sandbox.gpu.level determines whether GPU sandboxing is enabled. A value of 0 means that it is disabled, a value of 1 that it is enabled.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Has anyone else noticed you can no longer screenrecord/screenshot DRM content in the latest versions? I had to switch to Firefox ESR to screenshot a few scenes. It is really sad but predictable that DRM would become this extreme.
How were you trying to take screenshots? The attached file shows that I can on FF v 108.0.2(v109 is not yet available through the normal update channel for me). Perhaps there is an issue with an extension, FF settings?

Edit - I know this is not completely on topic, am trying to respond to an earlier post. The screenshot was taken using the right-click menu.

Attachments

• FF screenshot - MT - 17.01.23.PNG
    FF screenshot - MT - 17.01.23.PNG
    101 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: piquiteco

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Firefox 109: Manifest V3 support, security fixes and improvements​

Manifest V3 extensions

Firefox 109.0 is the first Stable release of Firefox that supports Manifest V3 extensions. Firefox continues to support Manifest V2 extensions. The update introduces a new extension button that lists all extensions and their site permissions, provided that these extensions are not pinned to the Firefox toolbar.

Selecting the cogwheel icon next to an extension displays the pin option to place it prominently on the Firefox toolbar. A right-click on pinned icons displays an option to unpin them. Unpinned extensions are moved to the Extensions menu automatically.

Mozilla reassured Firefox users that it would not follow Google's lead on making Manifest V3 the exclusive option for extensions. Google has been criticized heavily for the initial drafts that it put out, as it would have had a serious impact on content blockers, privacy extensions and some other types of extensions.

Google made changes to the Manifest V3, and while the company did address some critical issues, it did not resolve them all to the satisfaction of its critics.

Firefox will support Manifest V2 and V3 extensions, which means that users of the browser get the best of both worlds.
Other changes and fixes
  • The Code Guard exploit protection is now activate in the media playback utility process to improve security on Windows.
  • Firefox partitions storage in third-party contexts automatically "to align with other browsers and provide better Web compatibility".
  • The latest Colorways are no longer available in Firefox. Active and saved Colorway themes may still be accessed via about:addons > Themes. The themes were introduced in Firefox 106 as a temporary option.
  • The recently introduced Firefox View feature includes a new option to remove recently closed websites from the Firefox View history view.
  • Firefox View empty state messages for Tab Pickup and Recently Closed have been updated.
  • Spanish and Argentinian builds of Firefox come with a built-in dictionary now for the Firefox spellchecker.
  • Firefox's native HTML date picker may be used with just the keyboard now, which improves accessibility for screen reader users and users who prefer to use the keyboard.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Mozilla added the WebExtensions API to Firefox a few years ago, allowing browser extensions made for Chrome to work on Firefox with minimal (if any) work. Firefox 109 is now rolling out, with a few changes to extension support.

Google started rolling out a new platform for extensions in Chrome at the end of 2020, known as Manifest V3. It’s a significant change to how browser extensions function, with the goal of making them safer and less resource-intensive. Some APIs were removed and replaced with less-powerful alternatives, which affected content blockers like uBlock Origin — sparking some public outage from users and extension developers alike. Last month, Google delayed the timeline for removing older Manifest V2 extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

Firefox 109 is now available, and the main new feature on desktop platforms is initial support for Manifest V3 extensions. That means extensions created for newer versions of Chrome and Microsoft Edge should still work in Firefox, but Mozilla isn’t removing some features, and will continue supporting older extensions for the foreseeable future.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
How were you trying to take screenshots? The attached file shows that I can on FF v 108.0.2(v109 is not yet available through the normal update channel for me). Perhaps there is an issue with an extension, FF settings?

Edit - I know this is not completely on topic, am trying to respond to an earlier post. The screenshot was taken using the right-click menu.
Try taking screenshots of a video on a streaming service (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, etc). It will give you a black screenshot. Screenshots work as usually when no DRM content is playing.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 109.0.1 probably coming later today:

Firefox 109.0.1. addresses a font rendering issues affecting certain Windows configurations. The issue affects Firefox 109 and newer and is taken care of in the point release. Mozilla attempted to improve DirectWrite font rendering on Windows, but it seems to have had an undesirable side effect for some configurations. The previous behavior is restored in Firefox 109.0.1.

The second issue that is fixed in the new version of Firefox caused the browser to freeze on pages with a considerable number of emojis.

Firefox 109.0.1 addresses an Enterprise authentication issue in environments that use corporate proxies with kerberos authentication. Firefox had issues with embedded iframe content on pages and kerberos authentication. According to the bug report, Firefox would not send any authentication for the iframe content but only for the rst of the page.

The fourth and final fix addresses inconsistent sizing of event listener checkboxes inside the Inspector developer tool. The size of the checkboxes in Firefox's own Inspector Developer Tool varied in size in the new release.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Firefox 109.0.1 probably coming later today:

I did FF update check at 30jan 2320z and FF said it was update to date with 109.0 (64-bit)? Is it a slow rollout or am I misreading the About window?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I did FF update check at 30jan 2320z and FF said it was update to date with 109.0 (64-bit)? Is it a slow rollout or am I misreading the About window?
The distribution of browser updates will be slightly delayed. If you want to get the latest version quickly, you can download it from the link on this page.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
FF 109.0.1 looks like delayed at least so far... Perhaps Mozilla decided for slower rollout for some reason. I'm still on version 109 and don't like to download manually this time ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 109.0.1, first offered to Release channel users on January 31, 2023

Fixed​

• Reverted changes to Windows font smoothing which caused poor rendering on some configurations (bug 1803154)
  • Fixed jank when loading pages containing a large number of emoji characters (bug 1809081)
  • Fixed an issue causing authentication prompts to not appear when loading pages in some enterprise environments (bug 1809151)
  • Fixed inconsistent sizing of event listener checkboxes inside the Inspector developer tool (bug 1811760)

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
Are these related to the new Smart App Control?
Yes, the Smart App control doesn't have an option to always allow the program, it seems to be a standard type of deny if a DLL is in fact not signed. The strange thing is that by uninstalling firefox and installing it again the alerts stop. They only alert you when the program automatically updates itself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.