Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Firefox 112 for Android deals with an annoyance and gets a long-requested feature​

Mozilla implemented two main changes in Firefox for Android. The first adds the pull-to-refresh gesture to the mobile browser. To use it, users need to swipe down on a page to initiate a reload of it.

Most mobile browsers support the gesture, and Mozilla has now enabled it in Firefox for Android. The traditional reload option, selecting Menu > Reload, remains available.

The gesture improves the reload option for some users of the browser. Instead of having to open Menu and selecting reload, Firefox users may now use the pull gesture to do so.

The second feature addition improves handling of webpages that try to redirect requests to mobile applications. Sites try to get users to use their apps, if available, and not their websites.

Apps give organizations more control. Less users may block ads in apps and tracking is not as restricted as it may be in browsers. Browser makers like Mozilla, on the other hand, have an interest in keeping users in the browser, and not losing them to an application.

Sites may still display the option to launch its app or redirect users directly to their applications. Firefox will, however, displays a prompt to interrupt the process. Users may allow the redirection to the app or cancel it. It is a useful feature that blocks an annoying habit of more and more websites on the Internet.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 112.0.1 released, it''s ready via built-in auto-updater... ;)
Version 112.0.1, first offered to Release channel users on April 17, 2023
  • Fixed a bug where cookie dates appear to be set in the far future after updating Firefox. This may have caused cookies to be unintentionally purged. (bug 1827669).

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
My Firefox after updating, the favicons of my bookmarks are gone, had already happened a few months ago this problem and I managed to solve, but yesterday it happened again. If anyone knows any tips I would be grateful, I followed some tutorials on the web and this time without success.😞
1681887595167.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
My Firefox after updating, the favicons of my bookmarks are gone, had already happened a few months ago this problem and I managed to solve, but yesterday it happened again. If anyone knows any tips I would be grateful, I followed some tutorials on the web and this time without success.😞

Delete each bookmark. Revisit and save the site and likely the favicon will be recreated

If still fails, your only option is to completely delete the favicons cache. And you’ll have to reload absolutely all pages in your bookmarks folder to get their favicons.

How about exporting the bad bookmarks in HTML and import the good bookmarks in HTML? You got any spare copy of good bookmarks in HTML?

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mozilla confirmed the memory leak on Firefox 112.0.1's release notes page. There, the organization provided the following information about the issue: "Under rare circumstances, animated Firefox themes can use excessive memory."

According to Mozilla, the issue may be experienced only when users have installed specific animated themes, such Dark Space, in Firefox and use it actively. Additionally, Firefox would leak memory only a browser window was either minimized or occluded.

All of these conditions had to be met for the memory leak to occur. Mozilla recommends that Firefox users switch to another theme until it is releasing a patch for the issue: "If you encounter this problem, please change your theme to one that does not use animations to work around it. We are in the process of shipping a fix".

Mozilla is working on a fix, and progress can be monitored on Bugzilla. There, users are informed that the issue is affecting Firefox 112, 113 and 114, but not Firefox ESR.

The issue was reported to Mozilla 6 days ago and engineers have worked on the fix ever since. Beta and Nightly versions of Firefox have updates already that should address the issue.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1682432775755.png

112.0.2​

Firefox Release​

April 25, 2023

Version 112.0.2, first offered to Release channel users on April 25, 2023

Fixed​

• Fixes a high memory usage issue with animated images in minimized (or completely covered) windows, especially when using animated themes (bug 1828587).
  • Fixes an issue where Linux users with bitmap fonts installed may have had entire sections of text invisible to them on some sites (bug 1827950).
  • Fixes an issues where web notifications with images were not displaying for Windows 8 users (bug 1822817).

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 113.0 will be released later today:

Executive Summary
  • Firefox 113 is a security update that addresses security issues in the web browser.
  • A redesigned accessibility engine promises improved speed, responsiveness and stability.
  • Various security enhancements, including GPU sandbox improvements on Windows.
  • Support for AV1 animations

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Like Chrome has a Bookmarks list view on a separate tab ( chrome://bookmarks/#1 ) does Firefox have a similar Bookmarks list view/URL?
Not in the same way as Chrome. Firefox does open access to bookmarks in a separate browser window, you can see it on my taken screenshot below:

bm.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I will post this info here, for now no official confirmation by Mozilla ;)

Nearly two years ago, back in September of 2021, Mozilla announced that it was testing Microsoft's Bing as the default search engine on its Firefox browser. This was part of of the month's SUMO (SUpport MOzilla) study announcement. Now, a new report suggests that Microsoft too is eyeing a contract with Mozilla in a bid to replace Google as the default Firefox search with its own Bing.

The report comes via The Information which claims, citing sources close to the matter, that senior Microsoft executives are keen on a deal with Mozilla this year as the contract with Google is due for renewal by the end of the year.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Firefox 113.0.1 released today and should be already available via auto-updater... ;)
Version 113.0.1, first offered to Release channel users on May 12, 2023
  • Fixed incorrect colors for Windows users with installed monitor/display color profiles, particularly on wide gamut displays (bug 1832215)
  • Fixed borders being visible around fullscreen windows for some configurations (bug 1830721)
  • Fixed an issue which may cause users in some configurations to experience tearing when watching videos in fullscreen mode (bug 1830792)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.