AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Released: Firefox 55.0.1

Changelog:
----------------------
August 10th, 2017
Today's release brings innovative functionality, improvements to core browser performance, and more proof that we’re committed to making Firefox better than ever. New features include support for WebVR, making Firefox the first Windows desktop browser to support VR experiences. Performance changes include significantly faster startup times when restoring lots of tabs and settings that let users take greater control of our new multi-process architecture. We’ve also upgraded the address bar to make finding what you want easier, with search suggestions and the integration of our one-click search feature, and safer, by prioritizing the secure - https - version of sites when possible.

Fixed:
Fix a regression the tab restoration process (bug 1388160)
Fix a problem causing What's new pages not to be displayed (bug 1386224)
Fix a rendering issue with some PKCS#11 libraries (bug 1388370)
Disable the predictor prefetch (bug 1388160)
----------------------

Download: Chart your own course

Last edited by a moderator:

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I'm going to make one more attempt of Firefox this time, but I do not know, every time I install it, I lose performance, it's not a satisfactory navigation, it's a bit slow to open pages and with some crashes, unlike Opera and Chrome, Which gives me speed and fluidity.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Released: Firefox 55.0.1

Changelog:
----------------------
August 10th, 2017
Today's release brings innovative functionality, improvements to core browser performance, and more proof that we’re committed to making Firefox better than ever. New features include support for WebVR, making Firefox the first Windows desktop browser to support VR experiences. Performance changes include significantly faster startup times when restoring lots of tabs and settings that let users take greater control of our new multi-process architecture. We’ve also upgraded the address bar to make finding what you want easier, with search suggestions and the integration of our one-click search feature, and safer, by prioritizing the secure - https - version of sites when possible.

Fixed:
Fix a regression the tab restoration process (bug 1388160)
Fix a problem causing What's new pages not to be displayed (bug 1386224)
Fix a rendering issue with some PKCS#11 libraries (bug 1388370)
Disable the predictor prefetch (bug 1388160)
----------------------

Download: Chart your own course
Are they going to fix the ram leakages, i have been having.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Guys you should REALLY consider waiting for the upcoming Firefox 57, it is revolutionary. You can have a look at it via Nightly builds. Everything is about to be silk-smooth and I can proudly say that, it is gonna kick Chrome's speedy profile :)

Have a look at its future, click here

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I think he meant Firefox using too much RAM. I had this issue too last time I tried it.
But isn't it different from 'memory leak'?
Also when you close some tabs in chrome you regain most the memory that tab was using but Firefox behave very differently. It's because it still does not create a separate process for each tab, but it run some of the tabs in the same process.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
But isn't it different from 'memory leak'?
Also when you close some tabs in chrome you regain most the memory that tab was using but Firefox behave very differently. It's because it still does not create a separate process for each tab, but it run some of the tabs in the same process.
"Performance changes include significantly faster startup times when restoring lots of tabs and settings that let users take greater control of our new multi-process architecture." Hopefully this helps it run tabs more smoothy and with less RAM.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
Guys you should REALLY consider waiting for the upcoming Firefox 57, it is revolutionary. You can have a look at it via Nightly builds. Everything is about to be silk-smooth and I can proudly say that, it is gonna kick Chrome's speedy profile :)

Have a look at its future, click here
I hope so, especially considering Googles recent unwarranted firings.

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Ah, forgot to mention this, if you're looking for detailed "What's going on with Firefox/Mozilla?", please click here

Improvements within a project called Quantum are responsible for much of the difference. One part, Stylo, accelerates formatting operations. Quantum Flow squashes dozens of small slowdown bugs. Quantum Compositor speeds website display. And Firefox 57 also will lay the groundwork for WebRender, which uses a computing device’s graphics chip to draw webpages on the screen faster.

“You can do user interface and animation and interactive content that you simply can’t do in any other browser,” says Firefox chief Mayo, speaking from his office in Toronto — over video chat technology Firefox helped make possible.

It all adds up to a very different engine at the core of Firefox. That kind of speedup can really excite web developers — an influential community key to Firefox’s success in taking on IE back in 2004.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Can confirm firefox runs a lot smoother with this update. The tabs rarely lag when opening a huge amount of different links now, and the performance it gives feels really close to what google chrome is capable of.

Kudos to them

Reactions: brambedkar59
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.